Why become a member? ×

Glue for toothpick trick

badboy1984

Was wondering what kind of glue do I need to glue the toothpick on the strap button hole? Going to buy a set of strap lock and my Spector bass original strap button screw is bigger then any of the strap lock system screws. Therefore I will need to do the toothpick trick. Not sure what type glue do I need?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1439204520' post='2840734']
All you need to do is split a matchstick in 2 lengthways and push it in the hole. The screw will hold because of the thread which is now biting into the wood.

It's also more easily reversible.
[/quote]

Don't use a matchstick. The wood of the matchstick is much softer than a cocktail stick.

I use normal DIY-type PVA glue.

A couple of slivers of maple - from a battered old drumstick for example - one in either side of the hole.

You can then pour in some super glue - but really no need. Just trim off the excess sticking out of the hole.

Just screw in against the maple slivers and you'll be good to go.

Toothpicks are not always strong enough wood - depends on what they're made of - you just need the compression.

Bits of maple works.

Never used glue for filling holes in wood, just used wood.

Matter of interest, I blocked the nozzle in a bottle of PVA with a woodscrew and the screw went rusty in about a week. Anybody ever used glue and then had a problem with the screw going rusty and breaking, or not being able to get the screw out ?

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439590361' post='2844305']

Matter of interest, I blocked the nozzle in a bottle of PVA with a woodscrew and the screw went rusty in about a week. Anybody ever used glue and then had a problem with the screw going rusty and breaking, or not being able to get the screw out ?
[/quote]

Been there. I use a golf tee now!

[/quote]
[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1439793576' post='2845711']
Been there. I use a golf tee now!
[/quote]Brilliant! Does a golf T work on silicone/acrylic sealers too?

[/quote]

Water based adhesive + metal screw = rusty screw.

[quote name='CH161' timestamp='1439509547' post='2843536']
A couple of slivers of maple - from a battered old drumstick for example - one in either side of the hole.

You can then pour in some super glue - but really no need. Just trim off the excess sticking out of the hole.

Just screw in against the maple slivers and you'll be good to go.

Toothpicks are not always strong enough wood - depends on what they're made of - you just need the compression.

Bits of maple works.
[/quote]

We're still struggling to wean people off of matchsticks and you come away with this? You want the moon on a stick you do! ;)

There is no argument. Matchsticks are fine.

If you fill the hole so that it is small enough so that the screw can exert enough pressure on all sides and the thread bites into the wood sufficiently, then you don't need to use glue to do this job.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439206537' post='2840769']Don't use a matchstick.[/quote]
Correct
[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439206537' post='2840769']The wood of the matchstick is much softer than a cocktail stick.[/quote]
Also correct
[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439206537' post='2840769']normal DIY-type PVA glue.[/quote]
For the hat-trick!

Depending on the size of the hole to fill if you can get three cocktail sticks in, the middle is your automatic centre pilot hole.

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439590361' post='2844305']Matter of interest, I blocked the nozzle in a bottle of PVA with a woodscrew and the screw went rusty in about a week. Anybody ever used glue and then had a problem with the screw going rusty and breaking, or not being able to get the screw out ?[/quote]
Try the cap off an old felt tip pen, you even get the "click" shut seal if you find the right sized pen.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1439808429' post='2845853']
There is no argument. Matchsticks are fine.

If you fill the hole so that it is small enough so that the screw can exert enough pressure on all sides and the thread bites into the wood sufficiently, then you don't need to use glue to do this job.
[/quote]
Matchsticks will certainly work for a while. But due to the softness of the wood. It may break up over a time. Cocktail-sticks will give a long-term fix.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1439806883' post='2845839']
We're still struggling to wean people off of matchsticks and you come away with this? You want the moon on a stick you do! ;)
[/quote]

Haha...this is the thread that keeps on giving! The real test is if the screw remains firm under pressure, on the end of a strap moving around on stage!

I certainly wouldn't use matchsticks. Maple bits for me - I was given that tip by a very busy professional guitar tech.

If his boss's old guitar fell off the strap on stage it would certainly make the news! :)