Why become a member? ×

Advice needed: PA for vocals only

Beedster

The bluegrass band I've recently joined are putting everything through a rather old and pretty horrid Peavey PA. The band generally play small venues at pretty low volume. Before I joined I went to see them a couple of times and felt each time that the instruments - double bass, guitar, banjo and fiddle - should go through backline whilst the PA should be reserved for the vocals, which are pretty high quality and often three part harmonies (my previous two bands used this approach, and whilst it requires carrying more gear about, in a smaller venue we found it preferable to the all-in-to-the-PA approach). So, we're going to try this at what will be my first gig with them next week. Even so, the PA being used is really rather poor in all respects, and true to form - being a Peavey - is neither small or light, so we've discussed getting a newer/lighter rig with a view to using it only for vocals. I'm a bit out of touch with PAs so would appreciate some thoughts on the best approach to the problem and to any gear that might resolve it.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, you might find this topic useful. This is a subject that comes up a lot and the advice is pretty much the same every time.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267442-active-pa-speakers/

The Audio Works UK is worth a look. They have a pretty good clearance list. Generally previous models being cleared out.

I've just sold a yamaha DXR12 pair and will replace with QSC K10's..
I liked the KW12's for vox very much and I don't think you lose anything going down to 10's for Vox only.
The KW12's handle kick ok... but I'd rather do that with a sub so my preference is for 10's as tops...and the quality
of QSC is worth the difference. IMV.

For £1000 for a K10 package. I think they are the ones to beat.

I find the 1" horn of typical competitors is quite harsh when pushed, and I think you will end up pushing these cabs
at some point.
IME...PV's and cheaper cabs like Mackies and the like do strain more and they don't have the horn that can handle it.

I'd even go so far as to say if bands round here have a good vox sound, they have invaribly got QSC or equivalents/better
..but suffice to say, most don't have a good vox sound.

Other recent decent tops, I've heard have been RCF 722's but they aren't small or light IMO... but you'll need something like
that to get what the QSC's will do...so £1000 for QSC is fair...

To do appreciably better, the best deal would be Martin ICT300/500's or Nexo but you are into another realm really as you'll have to pack decent amp racks.. Martin need the controller but are class...and you can find them cheap... whereas Nexo aren't usually..

Best I've heard of later.. Meyer, but lets not go there with the price :lol:

Edited by JTUK

A friend of mine has bought the active EV12s recently and for vocals they sounded really nice. My former band was using Mackies at a rehearsal room and the EV's only confirmed what I'd said at rehearsal, that the mackies were horribly harsh when pushed even just a bit.

The EV's sounded really rounded and rich in comparison.

He uses them at an acoustic open mic night and then adds the subs for his soul and funk band.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1439227701' post='2841061']
The Audio Works UK is worth a look. They have a pretty good clearance list. Generally previous models being cleared out.
[/quote]

Eye-wateringly expensive though - eg. a clearance RCF ART 312A is £419 from them, the RCF ART 312A MK III is £350 from Thomann. Even worse for Mackie SRM3450 V2s.

We use SRM450 V2s and think they sound fine, though maybe we have cloth ears.

• 3 weeks later...