Why become a member? ×

Problem with string not staying secured

Colinm

Hello All,

I have an Ibanez 5 String 375f fretless. I was doing some recording the other day and the G just popped out of the bridge. Many attempts to restring it later and everytime I tighten it up it'll sit for five minutes and pop out again. Some of the green cover has come off the ball. I was going to put some flat wounds on it anyway but just wondered if anyone knew the correct way to string this thing. I must admit it looks like a miracle the rest of them manage not to do the same - I've never seen this way of holding a string in place before. Picture attached.

Thanks

Colin.

The casting looks distorted around the string retaining slots - it almost looks as if someone has tried to lever them open (which to me suggests the metal must be fairly soft). My Cort Curbow has a bridge with a similar slotted design to retain the ball ends, it's as chunky as hell and the strings never move when brought up to tension. You might be better replacing the bridge in the long term.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1439328456' post='2842012']
From the picture it looks like the ball ends need to be moved to the left a bit. That would sit them fully into the 'catch' that holds them. Don't know if that helps.
[/quote]

That hole to the left offers access to the end of the intonation screw so you'd struggle to make adjustments with the ball end jammed in there :(

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1439328933' post='2842021']

That hole to the left offers access to the end of the intonation screw so you'd struggle to make adjustments with the ball end jammed in there :(
[/quote]

My bad. You are of course right Howie. Change the bridge.

Thanks all,

Well - doesn't sound too good does it :-\ It does look somewhat illogical as to how it's supposed to hold the string in place with the ball the size it is for the G string. It's still under warranty so maybe I'll get it looked at :-). This is how it came from the shop.

Colin.

PS It does look like maybe some of the casting has come away due to the tension on the string. Anyway I have email the place I bought it from. Cheers all.

Edited by Colinm

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1439328743' post='2842017']
The casting looks distorted around the string retaining slots - it almost looks as if someone has tried to lever them open (which to me suggests the metal must be fairly soft). My Cort Curbow has a bridge with a similar slotted design to retain the ball ends, it's as chunky as hell and the strings never move when brought up to tension. You might be better replacing the bridge in the long term.
[/quote] this with a cherry on top lol

Edited by Thunderbird

The ball end is supposed to be nestled in the round holes to the left. It may be that the slots to the right need filing a touch or that the strings simply haven't been eased fully through the access slot.

Try threading the string directly through the round hole rather than slotting them in from the side. I don't think there's anything wrong with the bridge.

Post Script: Amendment below!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1439973052' post='2847110']
The ball end is supposed to be nestled in the round holes to the left. It may be that the slots to the right need filing a touch or that the strings simply haven't been eased fully through the access slot.

Try threading the string directly through the round hole rather than slotting them in from the side. I don't think there's anything wrong with the bridge.
[/quote]Actually, I'm talking bollocks! Just had a proper look at that particular bridge and HowieBass is quite right....apols

Just confirming HowieBass's superior knowledge, here's what it should look like (albeit this is the 4 string version):

I notice that the ball ends here are all sitting vertical and fully inside the slot...does that make any difference in your case, Colin?

Looking at it again, It [b]will[/b] actually make a difference because set vertically, the string itself is fully positioned to the left (look at your E string...the string here will be too far to the right and only just hanging on!). What is not clear enough on your photo is whether the critical bit on your G string slot has been damaged, and if so, has it been damaged in a way that would mean that it won't hold however the ballend is positioned.

It's worth a try though!

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515