Why become a member? ×

BassChat 50 must know bass riffs!

Dood

So, we've had a superb Spotify playlist from BassChatters of the very best bass lines and that got me thinking...

Let's have a list of (at least) 50 'must know' bass lines to learn.

They could just be good ole classic rock, easy or difficult or they could highlight a particular mode or scale!

So, go for it:

Song Name, Band (Bassist), Scale Or Mode if known

Edited by dood

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1439400279' post='2842523']
Start, The Jam, starts in G so hopefully that's the key....it shows my lack of musical theory doesn't it!
[/quote]

Or Taxman by The Beatles as it's otherwise known :)

On the subject of which I will nominate Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Macca, key of G major I believe. Never liked the song or the bassline that much until I played it live. Now it's an absolute fave, and introduced me to just how clever Macca was and what a driving force his lines were to the music

It almost makes me gag to suggest this, but Alright Now by Free has to be a 'must know'.
As overplayed as it is, it's still a great example of a tastful, restrained and effective playing.

Oh, and Guns n Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine. Many of the same reasons as above, plus a beautiful 'cello' intro and the verses snake their way though the song, all the time playing accents in sync with the drums.

Great thread. I'd just like to spoil it by suggesting mustang sally, endless slap riffs in 'e', and that Fleetwood Mac F1 thing. I'll get my coat and await an email from forum admin confirming the length of my ban.

Edited by booboo

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1439404476' post='2842582']
It almost makes me gag to suggest this, but Alright Now by Free has to be a 'must know'.
As overplayed as it is, it's still a great example of a tastful, restrained and effective playing.
[/quote]

Seconded, this is probably the most murdered bassline of all time, by including it in the list we increase probability that I will hear someone play it properly before I die.