Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 vs B1ON

bonzodog

Don't really use effects but planning on getting something to have a noodle with at home through earphones and then may use live. The zoom B3 gets great reviews but are the effects and drum patterns the same ones that are used on the B10N? I dont need the DI on the B3 and not too fussed about the plastic casing of the B10N so if I only need the effects, looper and tuner would I be better saving half the cash and getting the B1on or are the effects better quality on the B3.
Thanks

I've no experience of the B3, but I use a B1on as my regular gigging fx unit. I've tried many different units but found this one to be the most convenient. The plastic case is not an issue. Mine gets stomped on and abused regularly. The effects sound great, it's versatile, will run off batteries for festies etc and fits in the front pocket of my gig bag. As a singing bass player, I haven't got the concentration to use lots of different sounds on a song, but I do have it set up so that if I need to I can change from clean to distortion mid song etc. only shortcoming in my opinion is lack of a Di.

I've had both a B3 and an MS-60B. I'm currently using a B1on and it's great. You can have up to 5 of 100 effects happening simultaneously in one patch (in any order you like - each effect separately tweakable) and up to 100 patches. It has a 30-second looper, 68 rhythm patterns and an on-board tuner. There's an aux in and headphone jack for silent practise. It's a really flexible multi-effects unit, but I've been using mine as an always-on preamp. The noise gate, compressors and amp sims are excellent and can be configured however you like.

At forty quid brand new it's a real no-brainer. You could buy one, try it, and if you really didn't like it flip it on here for a very small loss. I have no connection with or affiliation to, Zoom! :D

Edit: Yes, it's a plastic case but the chassis is aluminium. I've not had any issues with its robustness or lack thereof. :)

Edited by discreet