Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Sandberg California VM4 Metallic Red
£850

JapanAxe

I bought this bass new from Bass Direct in December 2012. You can read the full story [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194520-nbd-sandberg-vm4-in-candy-apple-red"]here[/url].

This bass has served me well on gigs playing soul, rock, indie, pop, country, classical, and light opera, as well as hundreds of hours of practice. It is superbly put together, plays easily, and offers a range of sounds to suit just about any application.

So why am I now selling it? One reason is my '73 Precision - the more I play it, the more I love it. Another is flatwound strings - I have developed a strong preference for flats, but have come to the conclusion that the Sandberg really wants rounds to bring out the best in it. And finally there is GAS - I need to have owned a few more basses before I die (but I don't have room for them all so it's 1 in, 1 out).

Ok, first the spec:

Nut width: 40mm
12th fret width: 57mm
Weight: A very comfortable and well-balanced 4.2kg (9lb 4oz)
Electronics: It's either a Glockenklang 2-band, or Sandberg's OEM version thereof. Pull out the volume knob and it switches to passive operation - pan and treble cut still work even without a battery.
Pickups: Sandberg's own; a 'reversed' P-type, and a fat'n'juicy MM-type.
Finish: Sandberg call this Metallic Red, but I always refer to it as Candy Apple Red!
Scratchplate: Mint, i.e. white with a hint of green.

Original pics from Bass Direct:

The bass has picked up a few little marks, in particular a 2cm scratch near the bass side of the bridge, and some light buckle rash on the back. I have tried to capture them in these photos:

Here is a sound clip of me playing some Motown, with a bit of limiting from a Cali76, and recorded from the DI output of a Streamliner (backing track is Dr Licks) - both pickups on, slight treble cut and bass boost from the onboard preamp:

[media]http://cdn.bandmix.co.uk/bandmix_uk/media/292/292159/50063.mp3[/media]

The bass comes in a Sandberg gig bag, and will be packed securely in a proper bass shipping box.

Looking for [s][b]£850[/b][/s] [color=#0000ff][size=5][b]£795[/b][/size][/color] delivered by insured, tracked courier within mainland Britain.

[u]Trades?[/u] I am open to possible trades for any bass- or guitar-related kit with cash my way, or cash your way if you are interested in taking this as PX against something more expensive that you are selling. I can say yes, I can say no, we can haggle, but please do not be offended whatever happens!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1439421891' post='2842834']
Regarding the pickups, the 4 dots indicate they are Sandberg pickups rather than Delano. I like them a lot
A lovely bass GLWTS
[/quote]

Thanks Eddie, post amended.

Your full story link took me to a site called asschat.co.uk, where I didn't fancy hanging around.

Very good bass. I own one,and particularly like the bridge adjustments for string spacing. Useful when you have a large thumb.

[quote name='Manwithvan' timestamp='1439480716' post='2843267']
Your full story link took me to a site called asschat.co.uk, where I didn't fancy hanging around.

Very good bass. I own one,and particularly like the bridge adjustments for string spacing. Useful when you have a large thumb.
[/quote]

Fixed!

And yes the bridge is phenomenally adjustable.