Why become a member? ×

Best way to relic nickel bass machine heads??

[quote name='bassgurumonster' timestamp='1439459539' post='2842968']... any safer ideas that work? Many thanks.
[/quote]

I recommend the use of thyme. It takes a little longer, but the results are guaranteed, and well worth the wait. Quite inexpensive, too. Some patience is required in its application, of course, but that's just part of the fun, isn't it..? Hope this helps. :mellow:

Cement cleaner in a tupperware box (other brands are avaiable). Machine heads in a smaller open box (Chinese takeaway). Smaller box into bigger box. Close lid on bigger box. Leave for an hour. Take machine heads out. Put in cardboard box. Shake for 5 seconds. Job done. Easay peasy.

If you want that oxidation/bubbling - I think time is the only answer. For tarnishing/ rustiness - you want to bang them randomly against some steel wool for a while, throw some stones/bunch of keys on top (fender custom shop trick).

Then put some strong vinegar with a handful or two of salt in a tupperware dish. Immerse and leave for 24 hrs... then repeat as neccessary.

I've done this to match a bridge to an old guitar... results were great.