Why become a member? ×

Stripped pickup screws

Funky Dunky

So I just got my Sterling Sub Ray4 back from Thomann after getting the jack repaired

The preamp is uber-hot, so I thought I'd lower the pickup.

precision screwdrivers out, looked for a match, and started turning. Stripped the head of the screw in about three turns. Buggeration!

Now what? :(

(I mean what do I do after the obligatory hour of tears, regret and self-loathing)

Help! Please :(

This happened to me.
Got a needle file with a straight edge and filed a groove in the remainder of the screw head. Used a flat screw driver to get it moving and raise up a bit. then pushing the pickup down (if it's spung?), used thin long-nosed pliers to turn the screw until it was free.

Ordered replacement screws off Thee'Bay (P90 pickups screws I searched for) and for £1.99 replaced all 4 to match.

Edited by grunge666

If you have a Dremmel, there is a small cutting wheel in the kit normally.

You can very quickly cut a slot in a screw head with it. Then it's easy to get a small slot driver in.

I've had to do this a fair bit and it works every time.

Files tend to be a little wide and tricky to work straight.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1440376521' post='2850225']
Yeah, this method was recommended to me by a bloke in B&Q, but I don't have a dremel. I have a hacksaw, though, and will be giving it a go! Masking tape and a steady hand will be the order of the day.
[/quote]

Maybe take it to a guitar tech and get it done - it won't cost much. It'll be a 10 minute job and save you a headache.

B-Town is Beith, North Ayrshire.

I could take it to a tech but they'd probably want £40-£50.

Tried a hacksaw. Failed miserably, because the blade sits slightly recessed in the frame, and with the ends touching of the hacksaw touching the pickguard, the blade barely touches the top of the screw.

Think a Stanley blade would do it?

I'd have been better just buying a wee cheap Dremel for £14 at the outset, this would have been resolved by now!

Long nosed pliers that have serrations on the gripping face. Push pickup down and protect it with some insulating tape. Grip the screw with the pliers parallel to the body (i.e. the serrations are helping with the twisting). and gradually unscrew a little at a time. If the pliers slip you may also be able to carefully file some flats on the screwhead that will help. Protect bass body with some cardboard stuck down with masking tape or similar - it is all too easy to slip.