Why become a member? ×

Strings going bad?

Twincam

Ok I switched some fender flats to another bass, and I'm sure they were fine the other day, but now they sound a bit odd well the E string is the problem mainly but only on a open note, it's a very prominent Bowwww noise. I've checked the bridge and nut, they seem fine.
Un amped I can here it. Tried a different amp and get the same.

Wondering if because the other bass was a string through body and this one is the normal through bridge design if it's had an effect on the strings inner structure.

Oh I did have a problem with the g string making an odd noise when I very first got them, I bought them cheap as they had been opened but not used so who knows how long they sat there open in the shop.

You might have a slink kink in the string at a previous 'witness' point - anywhere the string was bent. I've read that using flats strung through the body can cause problems because of the stiffness of the windings - they don't like being bent through too sharp an angle. If there's a kink somewhere along the speaking length of the string you'll probably struggle to get correct intonation and quite possibly this is also causing the odd sound too.

It sounds to me that you got a twist in the string when you restrung it - was it really coiled like a pig's tail & you kind of 'firkled' it onto the post?

Try taking it off again, straighten out the end as much as possible, let it hang down so any twists come out, then put it back on as near as to a new string as possible.

I've come across this a couple of times - when you play it, it sounds like there's a bit of phase or flange on the note.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

If it's a "bowww " noise it's most likely your bass control that's too high. Try turning it down till you get a "badoing "noise which is much better. But be careful not to overdo it and get a " badiiiing" noise!