Why become a member? ×

Compensating for low end loss?

Painy

I have recently been building up a pedal board as I've been missing having a few effects on tap and this week got to use my new EHX Metal Muff Pedal (bought on here in a very pleasant transaction from Fretmeister). Now, for my needs at least, the distortion is perfect but - as with most distortion pedals designed for guitar -I'm losing a lot of low end.
My question is, could I compensate effectively by using it alongside an outboard preamp to boost the bass frequencies?
My concerns though are that any boost in low frequency before the Metal Muff may still be sucked out as they pass through it or, alternatively, that if the preamp is placed after the distortion there are no low frequencies left for it to boost?
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I had considered that as the ideal option and found this on eBay but I seem to have spent all my money on effects pedals and a pedal board this month already so if anyone can suggest a cheaper version of this I'd be interested to hear about it!?

Yeah agree with elephantgrey, a blender is a great option and the way I would go. This is a little cheaper than the one you posted from Ebay but still a few quid.... [size=4][url="http://www.brightonion.co.uk/blender-looper/"]http://www.brightoni...blender-looper/[/url]

Can highly recommend Bright Onion stuff though.[/size]

Edited by Bearfist

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439596252' post='2844344']
That's the good thing about some of the bass specific distortion pedals, you can blend the effected sound and clean sound, keeping the lows.
[/quote]

I have a Bass Soul Food which has a blend and it does work really well (although I use it always on for a bit of gritty warmth). I also have a Behringer bass overdrive which also has a blend control. That however doesn't make it onto my pedal board - mainly as the sound is just ever so slightly horribly dreadfully unusably Sh*te (IMO of course).
The Metal Muff just has a certain something in the way it distorts - a certain timbre that's hard to describe - that I really like.

Edited by Painy

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1439613895' post='2844371']
[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page55a.html"]This[/url] is probably the cheapest one ive found.
[/quote]

I reckon this could be a winner. Dave Hall stuff seems pretty well liked around here, it's made in the UK and I kinda like the whole Sharpie scribble on a biscuit tin vibe too!

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1439579895' post='2844210']
how about putting the muff in a looper pedal with a clean blend (or a crossover) so that you get both your clean sound with all its low end, and your distorted sound blended together. I would suggest then going into a preamp so that it sounds more like one tone.
[/quote]

+1

That's been my solution for that kind of issue over the years. I used a Boss LS-2 for that.