Why become a member? ×

True home rehearsal/practice combos - Yamaha THR and Roland Cube 10GX

Musicman20

As my foray into the world of guitar gets more and more interesting, I've realised that even a small 1x12 22w Fender combo is just TOO loud for the house.

I am still practicing before getting into bands with guitar, so home is where I play the most.

Most high end bass combos for home/very small gigs are hugely expensive and probably not something I need.

However, after checking the market for small low volume guitar practice amps, that still have good tone and more importantly allow me to test pedals and practice, it seems these two amps have bass functionality:

Roland Cube 10GX,
Yamaha THR10 (I'd opt for the 10c).

Has anyone attempted bass through these on the bass setting? I'm not expecting any kind of miracle, just a half decent very low volume bass sound that sounds like the bass, for low volume home practice etc.

Both amps, more so the Yamaha, have got very good reviews.

I wouldn't ever need a Phil Jones or micro Mark Bass amp; just too much money for such a small item which is only of use for me at home, (and I have other small options for small gigs but at the mo, even a 2x10 is proving pretty loud and transmits bass through the floor!).

Haven't looked at the guitar versions , but the Roland cube combos look great . Btw; I think somebody on Basschat is selling guitar version really cheap . Try looking it up .

Another alternative , could be to play your guitar/bass through studio monitors and use an interface such as line 6 .

I have the 10, not the 10C. For practice it is absolutely brilliant and I use it both for guitar and bass. In fact I don't use anything else now at home and I'm playing the 'holy trinity' of LP, Strat and Tele. Connecting to a PC via USB means there are loads more parameters (compression, reverb and delay settings) you can adjust and send to the presets on the unit. It's great to be able to adjust the level of the guitar and aux input independently.

The bass sound is remarkably good too and the effects apply equally as well to the bass sound. And, aesthetically it is very pleasing also it looks nice sitting on a shelf in my office!

Highly recommended.

steve

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1439897287' post='2846527']
I have the 10, not the 10C. For practice it is absolutely brilliant and I use it both for guitar and bass. In fact I don't use anything else now at home and I'm playing the 'holy trinity' of LP, Strat and Tele. Connecting to a PC via USB means there are loads more parameters (compression, reverb and delay settings) you can adjust and send to the presets on the unit. It's great to be able to adjust the level of the guitar and aux input independently.

The bass sound is remarkably good too and the effects apply equally as well to the bass sound. And, aesthetically it is very pleasing also it looks nice sitting on a shelf in my office!

Highly recommended.

steve
[/quote]
Great, thanks!!!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439897180' post='2846524']
22 watts for guitar isn't small, especially when you're looking at valve amps.
[/quote]
No, definitely not. I wanted under 30, preferably under 20, but the 22 W Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb sounds SO good, and received so much praise, that I had to get one. I used to have a much larger/higher wattage Hot Rod Deville...and it sounded nowhere near and good as this 68.

I think even my Dual Terror at 7W is too loud through its matching 2x12 cab.

The two practice amps noted are both solid state and are both 10W....and smaller speakers, (especially the Yamaha). We are talking a volume that isn't intrusive at all...

I use my thr10 for guitar and bass. Out the 11 amps currently in the house it gets the most use - pretty much everyday it's used for practising or learning tunes, I think they are great. Hopefully Yamaha are about to announce a bigger version that could be used out of the house.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1439899938' post='2846581']
No, definitely not. I wanted under 30, preferably under 20, but the 22 W Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb sounds SO good, and received so much praise, that I had to get one. I used to have a much larger/higher wattage Hot Rod Deville...and it sounded nowhere near and good as this 68.

I think even my Dual Terror at 7W is too loud through its matching 2x12 cab.

The two practice amps noted are both solid state and are both 10W....and smaller speakers, (especially the Yamaha). We are talking a volume that isn't intrusive at all...
[/quote]

Have you tried your bass through the 68 Deluxe Reverb ? Do you think it would work at as a low volume Bass & Guitar amp (out not in house) ?

Brendan

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1439916722' post='2846762'] Have you tried your bass through the 68 Deluxe Reverb ? Do you think it would work at as a low volume Bass & Guitar amp (out not in house) ? Brendan [/quote]

As in at a low level practice with a band? Certainly with the guitar; wouldn't dare try the bass! As fas as guitar through it at home, it is quite hard to get it really quiet. Those watts are LOUD!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the new Yamaha THR 100 HD isn't my thing, and way too loud. BUT, the THR10 is going to be revised soon apparently.

As they aren't that cheap for small home practice, I decided to go ultra small/low wattage with lots of versatility:

Roland Cube 10GX - works with bass, guitar and acoustic guitar.

It's pretty basic but the amp is small, quiet and light. Perfect for home playing/recording, and no crazy price tag, (let's face it, I'd rather have the money invested in things that are gig worthy).

£80 delivered! Arrives tomorrow (hopefully).

Edited by Musicman20