Why become a member? ×

Timewasting Question: Thomann 111E BR 3/4 Double Bass

Annoying Twit

I have one of these basses. Well I have the 111E which I guess is the same, mine has an ebony board. I've owned it about 7 months. i bought as a beginner and this bass has been a great instrument for me to learn on and build up my technique.
I'm learning all types of music, classical, jazz and rockabilly as I like to be open minded and versatile.
The first thing you will need to do is have the instrument set up (osundboard adjusted, strings lowered, bridge set properly and strings changed, this is a must! I thought I could get away with trying different strings as my instrument had a very VERY nasal and harsh tone. £50 later at a local luthier and this things sounds so much better.
I now play with Daddario Zyex E,A and D and an Evah Parazzi G and is sounds great.

It's a very comfortable instrument to play, very sturdy and doesn't sound terrible, but of course it's a cheap instrument so you're not going to get an amazing sounding instrument. I use a J-tone pickup and it sounds great plugged in, and i like it's arco sound as well. If you would like some audio clips PM me.

• 2 months later...