Why become a member? ×

Strat owners of the world! Pickup options... how many do you use?

Ajoten

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1459602397' post='3017994']
I've had one strat where I could use the bridge single coil and that was on an old G&L, so all my strats now have a humbucker there. Still the best guitar.
[/quote]

A decent bridge pickup sound is quite a good test of Strat. Not surprised about the G&L - they are somewhat different guitars to their Fender 'equivalents'.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1444052154' post='2879806']
Never use the bridge. I only ever use neck or neck/middle positions.
[/quote]

Yes, same here! Maybe the bridge pickup on mine is a bit pants... actually, compared to my other guitars, the bridge pickup is pants - but the other settings do a rather good Gilmour/Marvin/Knopfler vibe through the right kit.

• 3 weeks later...

My Dad has a few Strats so I get to play them quite frequently. I generally go for the bridge OR neck pickup, and occasionally bridge/middle. Middle on it's own just sounds odd.

He also has 2 x Strat with an S-1 switch, but they have different functions. I'm nowhere near understanding them yet.

• 1 month later...

I have two strats - one a heavily customised 80's Chandler super strat with HSS EMG pickups and EMG TBX midboost in the electronics and a super rare Wilkinson VS100C locking trem. It does the Lukather/Valley Arts thing. On the super strat I use the bridge humbucker most with sometimes neck or neck+mid. I don't use mid or mid+bridge much.

The other is a custom Hitmaker replica by Al Knight for failed attempts to channel Nile Rodgers. I use mostly the neck pickup or sometimes neck and mid. I don't use the bridge pickup at all. Having said that, the pickups are authentically awful so I have some lace sensors on their way.

My guitar has humbuckers with a coil split so can get reasonably similar tones to a strat's neck and bridge settings but I'm going to actually buy a strat for positions 2 and 4 because they have such a nice sound that you can't get from any other guitar (because it's 2 pickups together that are really close to each other so gives a distinct tone).

So those 2 give a darker/brighter version of that tone respectively, bridge gives very bright tone, neck gives a nice open warm tone that you'd expect. Not quite sure about the middle by itself; not sure what people use that for but the other 4 are definitely useful.

• 3 months later...

I favour the middle pickup, although I use all of the traditional settings at one time or another. Never knew it was so unpopular.

The neck pickup, though still nice, is my least favourite. It tends to be a bit edgy for my liking. When I want to be heard, I go to the bridge - but then that is not as beefy as the middle pickup, so guess what... :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine has Texas Specials on it (they came fitted from new as it's a '93 SE) and I really only use positions 2 and 4 - neck and middle blend or bridge and middle blend. Most of the time it is set to neck and middle. It also has a Rosewood neck - I find the maple necks on Strats make the bridge only PUP too harsh for what I want from the Strat. I use a Tele for that (evilly bright!) tone.

It is my only Strat - but it has an important tone that I don't seem to get from other guitars

Edited by Dasher