Why become a member? ×

Run for your lives! The Gizmotron has returned!

TrevorR

Just spotted this report from NAMM about the redesigned, relaunched Gizmotron 2.0
http://geargods.net/news/coolest-guitar-invention-yet-gizmotron/

A radical update of the gadget pioneered and promoted briefly by Godley and Creme from 10cc in the late 70s. 2015's engineering, electronics and manufacturing processes might make this a viable thing nowadays... Provided you're happy to have a hughe lump of plastic adorning the front of your bass.

Watcha think... A radical new must have effect or a gizmo(tron) too far?

Fantastic. If it really does go into production, I'll be looking at buying the guitar version provided it will fit one of my guitars.

Hopefully they will have solved the problems with the wheels wearing away and the fitting not holding the Gizmo firmly on the guitar which were the main problems with the original production version. Not sure about the USB powered motor - does that mean that there is a battery in the unit that can be charged by USB or that it needs to be plugged in all the time to function?

However I can't help but feel disappointed by the aesthetics of the final design. The original prototype had a minimalist elegance to it as it was integrated into the bridge of the guitar. I can understand the desire to make the production model fit any guitar and be easily removable, but I still think that a replacement bridge unit with the Gizmo built in would be more better both from the PoV of looks and overall practicality. I know that if I had one it would be permanently mounted to a guitar dedicated to Gizmo use.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1440080928' post='2848119']
That's probably a reduction in real terms over what the original production model cost.
[/quote]

The original, I believe, was made in the USA in the 70's, the new one is being made now, en masse, in China. There's probably $100 worth of parts in it, max, depending on how good the motor is. $450 is the "sale" price too, their website list price is $600. That's half decent second hand bass money.

Free market and all, they can charge what they want, but I won't be paying it. $250-$300 I probably would.

Well if they have solved all the technical problems of the original production model, there will have been significant amount of R&D, plus they will most likely have had to pay to use the name and the IP.

We all know that the cost of making anything with a limited market is considerably more than the sum of the parts, labour and shipping.

Edited by BigRedX

• 2 weeks later...