Why become a member? ×

Controls on Lefty Basses

Nodd

Hi All,
could I plz ask a lefty question to you all?

On my '75 Precision, the volume and tone both open or increase as I turn it clockwise.

On my Bongo and Squier P-special it is anti clockwise to turn up
Which is most common?
I am just about to get a new anticlockwise for the Fender to match them up as I keep getting confused.
Which is 'right' and which' wrong?
is it a 1975 Fender thing?

any help is appreciated.
Nodd

On a RH guitar, you increase volume or open the tone by turning clockwise. So strictly speaking, on a mirrored lefty, you want the reverse, i.e open up by turning anti-clockwise. Most manufacturers now fit reversed pots, but back in the 70s Fender didn't.

To be honest, the only time it really makes a difference in terms of playing technique is "violining" the volume with your little finger on a Stratocaster or similar, but I agree it is confusing and I think I'd do the same.

• 1 year later...

I acquired a Rickenbacker 4003 lefty last year, and whilst the pots are anticlockwise to turn up, the pots themselves are right handed audio taper pots wired backwards which means that from off there is a large increase in volume or tone for very little movement, and then nothing changes for the remaining 70% of movement. It is my intention to have a good electronics guy to wire them right handed so they work correctly. Frustrating that a bass of this quality comes out of the factory with right handed parts on it!

[quote name='leftyyorky' timestamp='1494453106' post='3296210']
I acquired a Rickenbacker 4003 lefty last year, and whilst the pots are anticlockwise to turn up, the pots themselves are right handed audio taper pots wired backwards which means that from off there is a large increase in volume or tone for very little movement, and then nothing changes for the remaining 70% of movement. It is my intention to have a good electronics guy to wire them right handed so they work correctly. Frustrating that a bass of this quality comes out of the factory with right handed parts on it!
[/quote]

Fenders are the same. I've got recent a American Standard Jazz and Precision and both were like this. I put reverse taper pots in so the controls still turn anti clockwise but actually work properly.

Shocking though that these 2 great manufacturers charge premium prices for a quality instrument and yet cut costs/time by doing things like this. John Hall got involved in a discussion on Ric forum but I just got the opinion that he doesn't treat the lefty market as important compared to the other people. They only make lefties every couple of years if we're lucky, pay an upcharge for them (and on used market too) and its not many years ago that they decided to put the headstocks and fretmarkers the right way round, mine is a year 2000 with a correct headstock and upside down fretmarkers.
Rant over!!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One word: Warwick. To them, lefty is lefty, full stop - knobs, adjustable nut, truss rod cover, etc., all perfectly mirrored and not recycled from righty parts. I'm not aware of them ever having manufactured a hybrid of the sort you guys mention here, and I'm appalled to hear that that happens on other makes, especially on expensive ones. :o

I have a Bass Collection which is fine too, except for the upside-down truss rod cover! :facepalm: