Why become a member? ×

TC RS cab specs

tbonepete

Hi Bass chatters,
I know about the bun fight regarding TC amps power figures, and to be honest I've read most all the posts I can find, on here, and over the other place, and I'm still none the wiser, but I want to know if the cabs figures are based on TC watts (WHATS???), or something more usual such as I would have heard of. I've looked on their site, but it just says watts, but not what sort of watts (RMS/ PEAK/ PROGRAM/ MPO/ PMPO, ETC)!!! Lol.
Info would be good, please, and thankyou.

For info, I find myself owning two of these (mainly Hobson's choice, as there's not much locally available), and don't want to knacker them by feeding them too much! Yes I know I could always listen, but in my experience that only works in isolation.... Try listening when at a gig and you're right on top of your amp/cabs, and the guitarist is giving it large on an overdriven vox ac30 2x12, and the Hammond player is equally got a left hand obsession complete with large amounts of Leslie sim, and dirt in the sound!. So I thought I'd ask here first.
Please, and thankyou.

Cheers Pete :-)

Edited by tbonepete

Asked the same question to TC direct. Their answer is RMS, so that's comforting. I also asked about frequency range, but that wasn't answered, Also, this applies to the cabs asked about in my question to TC ( rs210, and rs210c), so I can't tell what the K series, or earlier BC series are, but would "guess" at RMS also. Hope that helps someone in the future.

Speakers are much easier to test than amps and are usually rated 'thermally' that is a measured amount of electrical power is passed through them for a few hours and if they don't burn out they pass. There are a few different standard tests using slightly different frequencies and slightly different time limits but they yield similar results. Peak ratings are usually given as double the 'RMS' or thermal rating.

You'll see all sorts of stuff about small amps being more likely to blow speakers than big ones etc but there's a lot of nonsense and only a little truth about this.

The rule of thumb is fairly simple though. For a PA engineer who is monitoring the peak levels and knows what frequencies are going to a speaker you can use an amp twice the rated speaker watts. For most uses matching the watts (RMS) is good enough. For extreme uses (synthesisers and Bass if you use a lot of bass boost/effects) it is a good idea to use twice the speaker watts if you want reliability.

I recently bought tc gear (RH750, RS210, RS112). And i spent a long time reading all these tech specs :)

Here tc electronic cabs powerhandling :
RS210 : 400w 8 Ohm
RS212 / 400w 8 Ohm

RS410 : 600w 8 Ohm

RS112 : 200w 8 Ohm

And each tc speakers are designed to stand the biggest head : the RH 750
This head can drive 3 cabs. I would add 2,6666.... Ohm minimun

Check : "Cabinet Configurations"
http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh750/

I hope it helps

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1440624090' post='2852554']
I recently bought tc gear (RH750, RS210, RS112). And i spent a long time reading all these tech specs :)

Here tc electronic cabs powerhandling :
RS210 : 400w 8 Ohm
RS212 / 400w 8 Ohm

RS410 : 600w 8 Ohm

RS112 : 200w 8 Ohm

And each tc speakers are designed to stand the biggest head : the RH 750
This head can drive 3 cabs. I would add 2,6666.... Ohm minimun

Check : "Cabinet Configurations"
http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh750/

I hope it helps
[/quote]

Thanks Emanew,
Like you I have recently bought rh750, and a bh800, and rs210, and rs210c, but alas I really can't get on with the gear, so I will as soon as finances allow change again, but the reason for the question was so I didn't damage the cabs before I could move them on as I'll probably have to use them with another head, unless I manage to move the TC gear on as a package. The specs of 400w aren't specific enough especially when there's all the hoohaa surrounding the power output of the amps. Happily though TC said the cabs are rated using RMS figures, so I can relax when trying different heads. Well, that's the plan anyway.................. Hehe