Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine's Groove Formula

JapanAxe

Just finished watching the third video of Scott Devine's Groove Formula series, which you can find [url="http://www.thegrooveformula.com"]here[/url].

I have to say it's a very useful and usable approach to building a groove from the ground up. He has tried to help non-music-readers with his 'Groove Grid', basically a 4/4 bar broken down into 1/4-, 1/8-, and 1/16-notes, so prepare to do a lot of 1-e-&-a counting!

Heartily recommended.

I've watched the first 2 parts but not the 3rd yet. The first 2 were enough to push me over the edge to sign up for the SBL Academy yesterday - my wimpy internet connection was a bit of a concern but so far it's holding up just fine!

I signed up for his mails ages ago and have loads but for some reason, I haven't consulted them yet. Other things keep getting in the way. I really should take time cod he is an amazing player and teacher !

I like Scott's style and he is easy to listen to. I find a lot of what he teaches is way over my head, which is my fault of course, not his. This three-parter on groove is a case in point.

He says 'take your bass playing to the next level' waaaay too often ;-)

I'm using his methods to try and cure my flying fingers at the moment. Will it work? Ask me in a month :-)

I signed up for the SBL Academy a few weeks back, and have to say it's well worth the money. I also signed up for the Groove Formula series, and I'll echo the OP's comments above.

You only get out of this bass playing lark what you put into it, and he (Scott Devine) is doing a great job at teaching all this stuff online to anyone who's willing to make their bass playing that little bit better.

I was trying to separate out what I'd learned from what I already knew.

Without wishing to start another pointless thread, the first video really highlighted one of the benefits of reading music, as Scott's 'groove grid' is instantly accessible in the form of the rhythmic aspect of music notation.

I think the real eye-opener for me is in the second video on the subject of note choice.

1. Chord tones - no argument there.
2. Chromatic approaches - see below
3. Scale tones

I would not have thought about putting chromatic fills above scale tones, but thinking about some of my favourite players (Jamerson, Rainey) that is bang-on correct. There are times when you use a short scale run to link chords, but it can end up sounding a bit vanilla if you overdo it, whereas chromatic links sound that much spicier. Jamerson famously used the naturals on the open strings as chromatic passing notes when playing in 'flat' keys.

And on the third video, the concept of 'stings' had just never occurred to me.

So those are my own 'key learning points'.