Why become a member? ×

Amp component brand difference

Twincam

I've replaced the caps in my amp with just the main filter one to go, shall be doing that tonight. All seems well but for various reasons I've used a few different brands rubycon because they seemed to have a high operating temp and a very long service life, vishay as it was the closest value to original as I could find and jelly fish audio as it happened to be in stock and close to the value I wanted.

Can't help feeling I should of sourced some higher end caps all of the same brand. I have heard it said in guitar amps it's not a big a deal than in say a audio amp. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the right capacitance values and don't go below the working voltages on the original caps. Oh and make sure you fit them the right way round (polarity) unless you want a little firework display!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1440161828' post='2848749']
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the right capacitance values and don't go below the working voltages on the original caps. Oh and make sure you fit them the right way round (polarity) unless you want a little firework display!
[/quote]

Yes all within the correct values or a touch higher and all fitted the right way around. I did use many axel instead of radial ones as they were easier to get and cheaper. Was a little more awkward to solder i know that performance isn't effected but i do wonder if they will effect the amps value. So far the amp works great.

I would say any maintenance or modifications will slightly effect the price of an amp. Still worth a lot more than an amp that doesn't work!
An amp that's never been used in anger & stored perfectly (ideally in it's original box with all the bits & pieces) will probably be worth the most.

Once it's past warranty it's just a case of getting it repaired / maintained / modified (e.g. mains voltage mod) safely and correctly.
It may help sell it if you can say you've had it checked by a professional amp repairman.