Why become a member? ×

Half size double bass.

ambient

I'm guessing most people will say don't bother. I'm not sure half size is much easier to transport than 3/4 anyhow. They're all a pain in the a***.

Go for 3/4 and the problem will most likely solve itself. Lots of folk on here use public transport, I think.

Or try an EUB?

Whichever you choose, you'll love it and wish you'd done it years ago. :)

Thanks for your replies.

I've had a 3/4 size one before, and successfully dragged it around the country on trains and the tube.

My main reason, other than size, is price. There's one I was looking at that was a silly price, just over £100 😁.

Edited by ambient

I got a 1/2 size a couple of years ago to experiment with, it was a cheapish Antonio and was unplayable out of the box, but after some work to the fingerboard, nut & bridge I got it playable and sounding nice with D'addarios

The neck was too skinny for me, I was going to fatten it up with a 1/4" shim under the fingerboard but a good friend liked it as it was and bought it.

It was a doddle to carry one handed.

I still think a decent quality 1/2 size (39") would be be a good choice for anyone using public transport or a small car. If using amplification a good sound can be achieved.

If you've got £3k Clarky is selling his Kolstein Travel Bass https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=898007286912927&set=gm.1686583471561323&type=1&__mref=message_bubble

Thanks for all your input guys.

Unfortunately my budget is only maybe £200 :).

I only recently graduated from music college. I have quite a few gigs, but I'm obviously looking for more, and from past experience, I know that having a double bass with make me more employable.

I'm not sure a £200 double bass will get you too much work - well, maybe one offs - but if you really want one, a half size really isn't that much smaller or easier to transport than a three quarter, and there are many fewer around. I've got a Czech 1960's ply bass you can have for £200, got a decent set of Spirocores on it :rolleyes: