Why become a member? ×

Volume cutting in and out

Blackbird88

Hi guys, I recently bought a p bass and I'm having a technical issue with it. The volume seems to randomly cut in and out, and I don't know enough about electronics to understand why.

I've figured out that it's definitely the bass, the first time it happened I was at band practice through my full setup and pedalboard (thankfully I had another bass with me). Since then I've found it still happening through my practice amp at home with a different cable. It also seems to happen regardless of pot positions, I've had it with tone full on, off or somewhere between and with the volume full on or halfway.
It also happens regardless of if I'm playing hard or soft, fingers or what passes for slap and pop in my case.

I've had the pick guard off and can't see any obvious issues (wires loose, etc), but I'm not really an expert.

For reference it's a Fender Ltd Sandblasted Precision, they're American made with standard American passive electronics.

I don't want to have to return it to the shop as it's not local, and for the sake (and cost) of travel, plus I guess they'd probably return it to Fender for repair and then I'd have to go back to pick it up, so I'm hoping it might be easier/cheaper to have it done by a tech locally, especially if I can isolate the issue first.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

I'd be inclined to suspect the output jack socket and whether there's a poor connection involved - could be the hot signal wire either not soldered that well or a short to ground involved. Are you using a cable with a straight plug as I think these put more strain on pickguard mounted sockets than right-angled plugs and might be causing some movement. Whatever it is it shouldn't be hard to fix as P bass wiring is about as simple as it comes.