Why become a member? ×

Strings Rattling On A P Bass

discreet

[b]Strings Rattling On A P Bass[/b]

Noticed my strings were rattling when playing acoustically on my P Bass. Definitely not fret buzz, as it was the same on open strings. Nothing evident when played through an amp, but still really annoying. Anyway long story short, after a process of elimination over a few days, replacement of the saddle-height screws sorted it completely. I've had the bass from new, but obviously forty years of action adjustment had worn the screws and they were ratting in the saddles. If you're having the same problem, this may fix it - but of course it may not.

I ordered the screws from Strings Direct - they had no Fender Bass vintage slotted saddle screws in stock, but I can tell you that Fender Telecaster saddle screws (vintage slotted) are exactly the same. :)

Well that's new (to me at least!).

I've heard of fender BBOT and similar bridge designs having saddle height problems - often the saddle screws can slip if they aren't fitted exactly - or have wax or something in the threads - but I've never heard them rattle. Were both screws on each saddle solidly contacting the plate?

Well maybe buzzing more than rattling - definitely not fret buzz though, it was happening on the open strings too. Getting the saddles level was one of the first things I tried, to no avail. Obviously the new screws fit better in the threads than the old ones, and all is much improved.

I've found buzz before when the strings have not been at the right angle going onto the machine heads. If they are sitting ever so slightly high- buzz. Bring them down, it goes.

Just in case anyone finds this and you're idea doesn't work ;)

That was another early contender, making sure the string comes off the tuner as low as possible. A good reason for not trimming too much off the E and A strings before fitting them. Also why I don't like those modern tuner pegs that are concave in the middle, so you can't wind the string down to the bottom of the tuner. Lame!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440270762' post='2849550']
Also why I don't like those modern tuner pegs that are concave in the middle, so you can't wind the string down to the bottom of the tuner. Lame!
[/quote]

Perhaps they were designed with proper headstocks in mind (the best headstock is an absent one, of course, but that's another subject).

It does seem strange to me that Fender never changed from the two-string string tree to a bar type design that would give all the strings a similar break angle over the nut.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1440420244' post='2850493']
It does seem strange to me that Fender never changed from the two-string string tree to a bar type design that would give all the strings a similar break angle over the nut.
[/quote]

They do have a bar-type on some of their basses. And a double-tree affair on one of their five-string models, but the standard one-tree arrangement is pretty crap and you have to go out of your way to ensure a decent break angle over the nut. On the other hand it hasn't been a problem for me for the last forty years or so... I blame BassChat. I probably wouldn't even have realised I had a problem if I hadn't joined... :D

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1440269898' post='2849543']
Just in case anyone finds this and you're idea doesn't work ;)
[/quote]

I'm not guaranteeing success - see my OP. It's also true that it may not be the reason at all and I inadvertently changed some other parameter while blundering about with the bridge screws. There seem to be so many real and imagined reasons for problems on a bass. It's easy to get obsessed with it if one has too much time on one's hands... which I don't of course, I hardly ever get time to be on here much these days. :D

The E and the A can get a good angle straight away, it's the D and G that need the tree. So basically, they only needed to put a small tree on. Hasn't caused me any problems since I realised what was happening.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1440421548' post='2850520']
The E and the A can get a good angle straight away, it's the D and G that need the tree. So basically, they only needed to put a small tree on. Hasn't caused me any problems since I realised what was happening.
[/quote]

The D and G are usually OK because of the tree. It's the E and A that are the problem, especially the A, which always has a shallower angle over the nut than the E because it's further away. That's the string that most needs to exit the tuner from as close to the base as possible.

I've seen Fender basses with two trees fitted, the second close to the first but fitted between the A and the D strings.

Here's another A-string solution...

Edited by discreet

I just take care to make sure the E and A are secured low on the tuning peg. As I said, I have had issues with it buzzing in the past, but as soon as I realised what was happening, I have never had any problems

• 2 weeks later...

Having just done some mods on my cheapy Squier JB (Frank Bello Sig) i had some string rattle too which i couldn't get to the bottom of. Took a good look all over the bass and eventually tightened all the tuning peg fixing screws.....which didn't look loose at all and it seems to have cured it 😊

Edited by Number6

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad it worked for you! :) But I checked that fairly early on, along with any other screws and fixings I could think of. A combination of new saddle screws, intonation screw springs and Loctite Blue seem to be working for me, at least for now.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441488290' post='2859266']
Thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad it worked for you! :) But I checked that fairly early on, along with any other screws and fixings I could think of. A combination of new saddle screws, intonation screw springs and Loctite Blue seem to be working for me, at least for now.
[/quote]

I always use Loctite screwlock on the saddles too.....good stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440270762' post='2849550']
That was another early contender, making sure the string comes off the tuner as low as possible. A good reason for not trimming too much off the E and A strings before fitting them. Also why I don't like those modern tuner pegs that are concave in the middle, so you can't wind the string down to the bottom of the tuner. Lame!
[/quote]
Hipshot HB7s actually have a down taper to force the issue. Really pleased with them.