Why become a member? ×

REPLACING WARWICK STREAMER STD 5 PUPS

doc40hz

Hi y'all,

Acquired a German made Warwick Streamer STD 5 2PU (the ones that came out before the Rockbass line) - Great playing bass but the pickups sound like crap.

Anyone suggest anything that would drop in with the minimal of fuss - I know Bartolini do a replacement but can only find it in 4 string versions.

Cheers!

The pups in the Streamer standard are fine, the issue is that for some reason they're using 25k pots and that makes them sound so weak. Try first changing the pots to 500k, I have a friend who did that and the bass changed into a monster.

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1440503052' post='2851288']
The pups in the Streamer standard are fine, the issue is that for some reason they're using 25k pots and that makes them sound so weak. Try first changing the pots to 500k, I have a friend who did that and the bass changed into a monster.
[/quote]

Interesting. I have one and my main complaint is the weak output: I was going to fit a preamp, but may try a pot swap first as it's quite a bit cheaper!

• 2 months later...

Just an update to this.

Finally got round to doing a pot swap to 500k pots. First impressions are that the output is increased - obviously there was no way to back to back A/B the changes, but the output now seems to be on a par (or slightly stronger) than a passive jazz. Certainly you don't need to wind the gain up a much a previously (unless you want to!) and to my ears there's more body to the sound - a fuller tone from both pups but particularly the neck - sounds much 'growlier'.

If you're struggling with one of these I'd say a pot swap is a cheap way of improving the sound.

I noticed the same thing about the pots. Switched mine out for a 500K stacked pot and added a Darkglass Tone Capsule (with another stacked pot for hi/lo mids, and a push/pull active/passive switch on the bass knob). Overall output level is slightly better but still pretty low - wish the pre had an adjustable overall output volume trimmer like some do!

I've been thinking of replacing the pups too, was going to check out the measurements of the various Delano humbuckers and see if any 5-string Thunderbird pickups would be suitable.

It's a great bass otherwise, a total riff machine when played with a pick and some drive!