Why become a member? ×

yamaha bb1024 or bb424

ortogo

[quote name='mikeycrikey' timestamp='1440416511' post='2850418']
I haven't tried that, I just assumed the J pick had a. Lot more output. Will give it try as soon as I get a chance.
[/quote]

You might be pleasantly surprised. It's usually the P that is stronger, so I imagine you'll find a way to balance them more to your liking. Let us know how you get on!

On Jazz basses (or my PJ), you can affect quite a lot how the "two pickups on" position sounds like just by altering a bit the height of the pickups. Sometimes it can mean the difference between indistinct mush and smile-inducing tone. It's worth experimenting a bit, even if it can get a little tedious: the results are worth it :)

Well I bit the bullet and have ordered a black BB1024X from Yamaha London, in the end I was swayed by the number of positive replies for the 1024 that the thread has produced. Hopefully it should arrive Wedsnesday, :rolleyes: I'll try and post some pics and my first thoughts on it. Just like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1440447203' post='2850884']
I'm just happy they don't make a maple fingerboard version, so my GAS is safe phew :lol:
[/quote]

You were saying? (edit - looks like I was beaten to it!)

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1440599301' post='2852285']
It was a BB2024 MX, top of the range, got the picture with the black background from bass directs archive. Very pricey, but looks lovely.
[/quote]

Pricey indeed! That helps, thanks! ;)

The 1024X arrived Thursday so I've had a chance to give it a good try, so here are a few thoughts. It comes with a yamaha gig bag which is pretty good quality, but i'll get a hard case for it just to give it a bit more protection. The bass I've been using up until now is another Yamaha, a BBN4 111, which for what was a cheap Bass has been excellent. Out of the wrapping the first thing that I noticed was the weight, the BBN4 is around 8lb in weight but the 1024X is almost 10lb (4.5KG). The 1024X body is only slightly bigger than the BBN4 so I'm guessing the weight is down to a denser/heavier wood. The neck is 1.6" at the nut and 2.5" at the 21st fret. The neck itself dosen't appear to have any finish on it, it feels like wood that has been finished with 800-1000 grit paper, so very smooth, I.m sure there must be some finish on it but it isn't visible. The necks on both basses are virtually identical so it was almost like I'd played the 1024x for years, which was great no different profile or feel to get used to. A quick tune and it was time to try it out. With the pick up set up it is possible to get a real range of sounds from this bass, everything from a real dense thump to high clear "piano" tones and most things in between. The sustain that it is capable of is definitely in the Nigel Tuffnel league. Fit and finish is excellent, although I must say that next to the much cheaper BBN4 there isn't as much difference as you might expect. I guess that just goes to show that Yamaha take a great deal of care with all their basses, not just the top end models. The difference, though is in the sound and the 1024X is in a higher league. Would I buy it again? yes I would definitely no buyers remorse, and with the build quality and the range of sounds it is capable of producing, I can't see me needing anything else for quite a time :D

I would expect the neck to have a finish on it but I think it's satin. the finish on the headstock on mine is a kind of aged gloss and only on the front face of the headstock.

They aren't the lightest of basses but I've just bought a set of Hipshot Ultralites which will take half a pound of weight off the bass and should make it point slightly upwards trather than the current perfectly horizontal position.

I totally agree.

I know it's something that is said a lot on this and other forums but this is the best sound I think I've ever had. I feel like I have more control over this bass than any I have had before. Plus it felt like a bass I'd been playing for years as soon as I began using it.

If I have time tonight I'm going to change the tuners tonight but leave the D'addarios on it as for some reason they seem to be lasting a lot longer than the last set I had. Last set I managed 7 gigs before they were completely dead but I'm up to 11 so far and they show no sign of getting dull.

Probably a bit late to the party, but this afternoon I was down at the local music shop for a business meet and they'd got a 425 in there, and I was noodling about on it and I was absolutely blown away by it; pretty much the same reaction as Delberthot above, it just offered so much in terms of control and it felt spot on.
If it wasn't for the fact I was meeting the other half to be dragged around shops afterwards to look at things she wasn't planning on buying, I could have easily had it follow me home.

I've tried a few Yamahas of late (a 424, a 1024 and then this 425), alongside the Fenders I'm more used to and every one I've tried feel more "right" than what I'm currently working with. I can't believe I've discounted them as an option for so long.

• 11 months later...

Yup, you have to contact Yamaha directly or go through one of their dealers. I enquired about the exact same thing and got a response and prices, but then decided to just get a BB1025X.

Bear in mind this is for the 5 string and it was 5 years ago:

[quote]Part numbers for the BB1025X

Front Pick-up - WP917300 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £122.32 inc VAT

Rear Pick-up - WT766600 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £79.51 inc VAT

Part numbers for the BB2025X

Front Pick-up - WR251000 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £132.66 inc VAT

Rear Pick-up - WR254200 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £81.62 inc VAT[/quote]

I've no idea why the BB2025X pickups are more expensive when they are meant to be exactly the same as the ones in the BB10125X!

Edited by dannybuoy