Why become a member? ×

yamaha bb1024 or bb424

ortogo

I'm currently torn between the above 2 basses, the 1024 has slightly better pickups according to a number of threads I've looked at and the 1024 has the splined body construction. I've seen the 1024 for around £570 and the 424 for £270, is the 1024 worth twice as much as the 424?, your thoughts would be much appreciated

Both good. The pickups on the 1024 are absolutely fantastic and although they are available as a part from Yamaha, they are expensive. They're both very good value and both punch seriously above their weights.

At the end of last year I bought a 425 as GAK were doing them for £249 and I fancied another 5 string after playing 4 strings for the last few years.

As far as fit and finish go the neck feels and looks like it is untreated but I would expect that there's something on it. The frets are well finished with no rough edges. The only thing that I can see that is wrong with it is one of those natural black bits on the neck just behind the first fret that my eye keeps getting drawn to when I'm playing it.

Sound wise it is very powerful for a passive bass. Controls are simple and I usually have everything on full. Playing in a wedding band I need to be able to play a variety of genres and it covers them all brilliantly with the occasional song requring me to solo the P pickup to get the desired effect.

A fantastic bass that I'd be happy to gig on any size of stage.

The 1025 is in my opinion in a different league completely.

The finish is perfect, the neck has a slight vintage tint to it and is gloss laquer rather than satin. The string tree is substantial and covers the E, A & D strings. The nut is made from the same material as the frets. I prefer the P pickup on this one to the 425 as I can get more growl from it. There are no flaws anywhere on it. despite being the same Jazz pickup apparently I can solo it without changing any EQ settings on the amp and it still gives me a useful tone on it's own. Soloing the P pickup yields the P bass tone that I've never had from any Fender or similar. I still prefer both pickups on and everything up full for a very full, round yet clear, punchy tone.

I don't know how much if anything the splined joint affects the tone due to the different P pickup etc

So to me the BB1025 was definitely worth the price. The BB425 is now my backup and rehearsal bass

• Like 1

I had heard a while ago that Yamaha were going to discontinue the 1000 series, possibly due to the closeness in specs to the 2000 series.

A few weeks ago GAK were showing the 1024 & 1025 as discontinued and now they're no longer listed on their website. They do still seem to be available at a few other places but I don't know if this a while stocks last thing or not.

Agree completely with Delberthot. Just last week I was sitting in the Yamaha shop comparing these 2 basses (the 5 string versions). I particularly agree with the points on the powerful pickups and the differences between the 2 series. I had to check with the salesman that the 425 was indeed a passive bass, very powerful pickups. The difference in sound between the 425 and 1000 is quite marked, with the latter being a lot clearer and with more treble. Personally, yes, I would have paid the extra. Funnily enough though I ended up preferring the TBRX505 but eh, horses for courses :P

Oddly enough the guy dealing with me didn't mention that the 1000 series was being discontinued, as I wasn't buying a bass there and then I thought that would have been good for him to slip in there.

• Like 1

I've got a 1024 in vintage white on order from Yamaha London. I ordered it a month ago and they told me it wouldn't be in stock until the 18th September. So not discontinued but some delay in getting them over to Europe for whatever reason. I think the 424 is a fantastic bass and I'm always bit tempted to cancel the order and get a 424 plus an Ibanez tmb-100 talman (both in white) and pocket the £150 difference.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1440338757' post='2849899']
This video compares the three specs seamlessly.....to me the 424 sounds much better,more depth and punch, but the more expensive ones sound more refined. I play a 414 in a rock band, so refinement isn't a requirement!!!![/quote]

I don't think that video does the 2024 many favours at all, the transitions from 1024 to 2024 were seamless. I realise that the vid doesn't compare playability at all, which might well be where the extra sponds go, (wouldn't know as I've never been in the same room as one) but all I got from it was a new bout of love for my 415.

Indeed, the more expensive ones may feel that bit nicer, and each to their own, this may be important enough, I've been tempted by the 1024 myself, but my BB414 has the sound I need in the band right now, feels pretty good to me, is rediculously easy to play with the lowest useable action I've ever had on any bass, so I really don't need an upgrade. The see through finishes do look lovely on the pricier models. If I were playing less rock music, and more pop/funk/whatever stuff, guess the others would sound more appropriate , the 414 probably is a bit 'unruly' sounding, but that's what I want!!!

many thanks for all the replies. I found this link today [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMloZ_W4-c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMloZ_W4-c[/url] which compares the 424 and the 1024. I think the 1024 sounds just slightly clearer and more defined in the clip. I play mostly Rock in one form or another so I'm not sure if that is really necessary , but its always easier to "dirty" the sound than try and clean it up
Opinion seems to be evenly divided between the 2 basses, which shows that they are fairly evenly matched?
I'll make a few phone calls tomorrow and try and find out whether there is any chance that the 1024 is going to be discontinued, (I also noticed that GAK had listed the 1024 as discontinued) and had worried that there was only a small amount of stock left.
One niggling point is would I regret not going for the 1024, if it were to be discontinued? Decisions , decisions

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1440356142' post='2850071']
GAK have the red 424 for £239,or the five string red one at £209....crazy prices!!!!
[/quote]

Wow, that is mad, how can that five string be that price? Someone is going to pick up a bargain. I'm tempted to go for the 424 at that money

I've been shopping for a P bass for almost three years now, but cannot decide on any. I'm loving and GAS-ing on many that I try out, from Mendel signature to 70s ones, but all that love and GAS goes away when I get back home and pick my BB415 up. I'll still get a P bass for the looks, but I've got THE sound already.

I have the 424x which plays great and sounds great. However I feel the J pick up is slightly more dominant than the P pick up.
I tried a 1024x in PMT in Manchester and found the P pickup to be more of a match for the J in terms of output. The 1024x didn't feel any better in my hands than the 424x and as the asking price was £860 I didn't think it was worth the extra money. I ended up keeping the 424x and buying an ibanez SR500.
I now have two different sounding basses that I am happy with that still worked out cheaper than the extra money the 1024x would of cost.

[quote name='mikeycrikey' timestamp='1440364848' post='2850182']
I have the 424x which plays great and sounds great. However I feel the J pick up is slightly more dominant than the P pick up.
[/quote]

Did you try lowering the J pickup a bit?

I have been mightily impressed with my 1024x ...I had a fairly open budget up to £1500 for the right bass, and this was unbelievable quality and value....and best of all I loved the sound. As others have said, the output on the pickups are markedly louder than other passive basses I tried and the neck dimensions suited me down to the ground.
Get one from yamaha london, and you'll get the best price, I think they've come down to about £600....a steal. I couldn't be more pleased

Edited by chrisgriff

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1440417225' post='2850432']
@Ortogo

Hi. Don't know where you're based, or whether you've played the 424 and 1024. If it's of any help, you're welcome to pop round and play my 424. I also have a Yamaha BB1200 and a couple of Fender P's for comparison.

I'm in Stockport.

Many thanks for the kind offer, unfortunately I,m down in Cornwall but its much appreciated all the same.
Spoke to Yamaha music London this morning, and they didn't think that the 1024 was going to be discontinued, or they hadn,t heard anything about it being discontinued. They haven,t got any black or white 1024s in stock (they,re expecting some in mid September) but have the other 2 colours in 1024s and have black or white 1024x in stock, I am quite tempted by a black 1024x !!
[/quote]

Edited by ortogo

I got a 1024X in vintage white for £564 including a padded gig bag and postage from Yamaha London , had to wait a while to get it but was well worth the wait as it's a fantastic bass.
I've played the one in PMT Manchester a couple of times and told them the £850 price tag is too high. Best price they offered me was £800 cash and they would throw in a gig bag for half price ! Needless to say , I walked away.