Why become a member? ×

Neck Replacement. How Critical is it?

taha_never

Hello everyone.
i have a roger waters precision. suddenly i feel the need of a rosewood board. it's very hard and expensive (triple the price of an object!) to order parts from my country, so before placing my order i have to make sure if i'm able to do it myself. i'm okay and have done adjusting the truss rod, action, swapping pups, soldering, etc. am i going to be safe changing my neck?
just want to be aware of the details and if there's something more than unscrew/rescrew...
i will be very thankful for your help.
also if anybody knows and could confirm that a MIM P neck fits to a waters P pocket (MIM also), that's much appreciated.
thanks again.

From past experience, all the Fender stuff is fairly interchangeable and simple to change. Four screws. Make sure you get a like for like neck and the scale lengths match. That's not to say that once you do swap the neck over it won't need a tweak to get it how you want it.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Quick note - not sure how many MIM P's that have it (if any) but the neck pocket can have 3 shapes on 4 string fenders (that I know of).

Regular:

1951 style (squared heel):

Ergonomic bolt pattern:

See here for more info: [url="http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Options/BassNeckPocket.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.c...NeckPocket.aspx[/url]

EDIT: the regular style is by far the most common, however the other two have appeared on basses with "Fender Precision" on it so I thought it could be worth noting.

Edited by PlungerModerno

If it's a brand new neck then chances are it's not drilled for the neck bolts, so as long as it's the standard width (either 63 or 64mm, I can't remember off the top of my head) and it's got the same end shape (slight radius or square) then you'll be fine.

thanks guys for the input. thanks PlungerModerno and Paul that really shed a light.
dear Grangur i live in iran. importing tax at our borders for musical instruments and parts is 100 to 120% here!! plus shipping! plus mr.dealer's percent (if i order from him) which is around 20-30%! :|
we buy MIMs for the price of a CS here bahaha! :lol:

Edited by Yawn_Blah