Why become a member? ×

1/2 size double bass help please

ElleVee

I am looking for half size bass for my son. He's been playing 1/4 for 4 years borrowed from school but had to give it back. We had hoped to buy 3/4 but his teacher feels his hands are still too small and he should use 1/2 until he grows. Looking for reasonably priced as it's an in between step. I'm not at all musical and not sure whether to buy new or second hand. Very few 2nds about but not great reviews for budget new dbs. Any help advice would be much appreciated.

Personally, I would buy second hand, but you may have to wait a few months for the right one to be available and you will have to be prepared to travel. If you can buy one that has been set up properly it will save you time and money. They do come up for sale on this site occasionally as well as auction sites.

Be aware that you can get some 3/4 size DBs with a shorter scale (less than 41" or 104 cm) that might also be worth considering and one that can be good enough to take your son all the way through his studies. This will also give you a greater choice and price range to choose from.