Why become a member? ×

Rosin - advice please

timbass

I want to buy some new rosin. The tiny block I was given when I bought my bow is coming to an end and it seems to be getting hard and powdery, perhaps that happens with age?
Anyway, to the point. My strings are Thomastik Spirocore Double Bass 3/4 medium. What rosin should I choose and why please?
BTW I am a novice arco player but enjoying it very much.
Thanks.

Nyman bass rosin is a really good, professional quality rosin which isn't to badly priced for how long it will last you. It's not too sticky but is a liquid based rather than powder so does the job properly.

A little tip when applying rosin to the bow always put your thumb over the metal part of the frog, then you won' chip or crack the rosin block. B)

I use Petz #2, have done for years. To be honest though, I don't think the choice of rosin is something to get too worked up over. Nyman, Petz, whatever, just put it on and play. They all do the same job and the difference in tone or feel is tiny. Just play and enjoy!

Many thanks lovely, kind basschat people, great advice. I understand the advice about Spirocore philparker, thanks for that, but because I mostly play pizzi, amplified and use a mag pickup (plus contact mic) I need steel and they're the best I have tried so far. When I have enough spare cash (probably never) I will have another, better DB set up for arco!