Why become a member? ×

Amp not working to 2 cabs but fine with one!

largo

Got a weird one for you amp gurus out there. Got a Markbass Momark which has worked fine for years. Last nights gig only getting output to one of my 8ohm cabs.

Tried new cable still nothing.

Tried swapping cables and each cab works fine so happy the cabs are ok.

Tried daisychain cabs and both work fine from a single speaker outputs on amp. Fine on both speaker outputs.

So it's only when each cab is connected to its own speaker output on the amp it doesn't work.

Any thoughts & yes, Monday morning I'll be emailing Markbass tech support too.

Cheers.

Edited by largo

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1440326194' post='2849788']
Got a weird one for you amp gurus out there. Got a Markbass Momark which has worked fine for years. Last nights gig only getting output to one of my 8ohm cabs.

Tried new cable still nothing.

Tried swapping cables and each cab works fine so happy the cabs are ok.

Tried daisychain cabs and both work fine from a single speaker outputs on amp. Fine on both speaker outputs.

So it's only when each cab is connected to its own speaker output on the amp it doesn't work.

Any thoughts & yes, Monday morning I'll be emailing Markbass tech support too.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Does a single cab work with both sockets ?

Do your cables have 4-pole or 2-pole Speakons and are they genuine Neutriks?

I recently had an instance of 2 cables with 2-poles being returned as allegedly faulty when there was in fact nothing electrically wrong with either. One was sent to Neutrik for checking and they confirmed that it was A1 OK.

It happened when the cables were plugged into either of the customers Markbass heads, both of which had combo Speakon/jack sockets. Neutrik NP-4 4-pole connectors seemed to fix the problem but I still don't know why it got me wondering about the stability of the combo sockets, especially when both are used. Combo sockets only come in PCB mount version so perhaps the physical weight of two connectors was distorting something. When I have time I plan to dissect a combo socket and see what is going on inside.

Edited by obbm

Cheers OBBM, I'll be honest I can't remember but will check tonight when I get home. Are the NP-4 wired differently? Or, would going to jack to speakon leads be better. Quite like the look of the Trace amp in the used section and I could use the same leads. I'll let you know tonight as there could be an order on it's way if I only have NP-2 connectors.

NP-2 only have terminals 1+ and 1-. NP-4 only use terminals 1+ and 1-. The situation completely foxed me and just to be sure I got Neutrik involved, who I must say were very helpful. They checked one of the allegedly faulty cables and gave it a clean bill of health. I'm convinced that is either the combo socket or the way that Markbass mount them but not being a Markbass user I can't check. All very strange.

As for using jacks, I recently got a Tech 21 VT500 head. It doesn't have combo sockets, just Speakon and their manual says "We do not recommend using 1/4" jack converters as they are not rated to handle 500W reliably". Well said Tech 21 but I wonder how many people get that far into the manual.