Why become a member? ×

NAD and NCD- warning heavy old Ampeg content

Old Horse Murphy

Well, after recording and gigging through Ampeg gear several occasions over th least month or so, I decided to throw a bit of caution to the wind and embrace the heavy!

After trying out and pricing up an Ampeg SVT CL Heritage and 810e can in a guitar shop in Bristol, I was sure it was the right amp for me. However, Price-wise there was absolutely no way I could justify spending over £3k!

This weekend I found a U.S made SVT CL and matching US made SVT810E and decided to chance my arm.

Well, it's as heavy as I feared it would be but fits in the car perfectly. Once it's unloaded though, it's actually very easy to manoeuvre and while I'm young and strong enough, I'm happy to endure the additional pain and weight for the sound it gives me. And what a sound it is!

I all honesty, I'm probably going to move the 810 on and either go for a 410 or maybe the Ampeg 212. Both still beasts, but a little smaller.

Happy for now at least, but the the wife hasn't seen it yet :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Congrats Nick, am in a similar position, just played at a festival through an Ampeg, but more importantly heard loads of bands playing through the same, and just knew I had to get one. Admittedly the SVT3-PRO is nowhere near as tempting but it still has the Ampeg sound, but in an amp that I can carry. Ampeg-goodness, can`t beat it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1440350722' post='2850012']
Congrats Nick, am in a similar position, just played at a festival through an Ampeg, but more importantly heard loads of bands playing through the same, and just knew I had to get one. Admittedly the SVT3-PRO is nowhere near as tempting but it still has the Ampeg sound, but in an amp that I can carry. Ampeg-goodness, can`t beat it.
[/quote]

Lozz, the SVT 3 is not the Ampeg Valve amps. It is like the TH500 and the DB750...close and all that, but ultimately, nah...!!!

I was going to add, IMO... but it is not that close... :lol: ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1440443354' post='2850809']
Lozz, the SVT 3 is not the Ampeg Valve amps. It is like the TH500 and the DB750...close and all that, but ultimately, nah...!!!

I was going to add, IMO... but it is not that close... :lol: ;)
[/quote]

Yes I know it`s not the same but I can`t get anywhere near lifting one of the real valve Ampegs JT. I just love the Ampeg sound so the 3-PRO fits the bill, Ampeg sound, in a box that I can carry. It has a fair few valves in it to warm it up a tad. Not used it in a rehearsal setting yet, but at home use the difference in sheer "bigness" of sound is evident in comparison to my TH500. Much fuller presence and less "spiky" sounding. Really looking forward to tomorrows rehearsal with it. The annoying thing will be if in the band setting that I prefer the TH500.

Congrats on a great rig.

If your 810 fits in the car then keep it. The sealed fridge is way better than the 410 or the 610 what with them being ported. The standing room they all take up is just the same and when you move them on the wheels they are all much of a much-ness.

I passed on an 810 for a smaller 610 and it was just not the same.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1442343559' post='2866278']
I'm pretty sure one of the Ampeg 4x10s is sealed. Think it's the larger one, the HLF.
[/quote]

The smaller 8ohm HE is sealed,the larger 4ohm HLF is front ported.

There aren't too many players that wouldn't list this as their dream rig if money were no object and they had a roadie.
Hell if I could afford it I'd have one like a shot - roadie or not!

Congrats BTW :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1444585583' post='2884306']
Erm, time to 'fess up I think....just a wee bit too heavy to be practical but I've certainly got the valve/large cab bug I fear

[URL=http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/image_14.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/nwmurphy/image_14.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Good golly that is magnificent...