Why become a member? ×

Soundscape.

ambient

I'm very pleased with this. it was improvised and recorded in a single take yesterday afternoon, hence the title.

It's all just my Modulus Quantum 6 string bass, an ebow, an Eventide Space effects, a Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+, and the looper pedal is a Pigtronix Infinity.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend/22082015d"]https://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend/22082015d[/url]

Lovely! I really like the melancholy feel of this piece, and the way it builds up - those high tones near the end really tested my speakers! Great work- I'll definitely be listening to this again while working on the computer later this evening.

Sounds like there is some kind of looped and processed field recording with human voices low in the mix - is that right? And what is the Kaoss Pad doing in this track? I've often wondered about experimenting with one of these but haven't quite got my head around exactly what they do or how I might use one.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1440353900' post='2850040']
Lovely! I really like the melancholy feel of this piece, and the way it builds up - those high tones near the end really tested my speakers! Great work- I'll definitely be listening to this again while working on the computer later this evening.

Sounds like there is some kind of looped and processed field recording with human voices low in the mix - is that right? And what is the Kaoss Pad doing in this track? I've often wondered about experimenting with one of these but haven't quite got my head around exactly what they do or how I might use one.
[/quote]

Thanks for listening.

There is indeed a recording in the background, I tend to record stuff on my phone when I'm out and about, I have recordings of tube trains and all sorts of things. I re-record those onto an old reel-to-reel that I bought, and just mess about with them, you can reverse the spools, and play them backwards, and play them back at half speed and stuff. I then play them into Logic routed through effects pedals.

The Kaoss pad is a new arrival, I've only had it for a week or so. It's basically a multi effects processor like any other, but it has a touch screen that lets you use your fingers to adjust the effect. I'm experimenting with the placing of it, at the moment it's after my effects and before the loop pedal, I'm going to try it after the loop pedal. On this track I'm just using it to alter the sound of the trail of a sound as it fades away. It also works as a sampler/looper, you can record a bit into it, and play around with it.

There's a video here of Steve using his [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8D6dHcr2yE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8D6dHcr2yE[/url]

Radiohead use one too, in Everything in its right place. Johnny Greenwood uses one to sample Thom's vocals and mess about with them.

All very interesting! Thanks for the info.

I really like your current set-up - sometimes (in fact very often), less is more. I like working with restrictions - having too much choice can really get in the way of creativity. When I first started playing bass I only had one effects pedal for ages - a Boss BF-2 flanger. I go to know it REALLY well, and got to the point where I could get an incredible range of sounds out of it.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1440547014' post='2851891']
All very interesting! Thanks for the info.

I really like your current set-up - sometimes (in fact very often), less is more. I like working with restrictions - having too much choice can really get in the way of creativity. When I first started playing bass I only had one effects pedal for ages - a Boss BF-2 flanger. I go to know it REALLY well, and got to the point where I could get an incredible range of sounds out of it.
[/quote]

I'm really happy with what I'm currently using. Until recently I had a whole load of pedals, and was forever switching them around, reverb'ed delay is different to delayed reverb ! The Eventide Space is an amazingly powerful little device, with some great presets, but it's when you start tweaking them, that they really come alive. I have the pedals on a stand so I can adjust them mid-song.