Why become a member? ×

Which semi hollow should I buy?

tracktionmonkey

I have been away from the forum, after I sold my Epiphone JC a couple of years ago! Much as I like that bass, I want to get something different this time. I've looked at the luxury of a Gretsch, a Guild M85, a Fender Coronado etc. But, budget limitations suggest I choose one of the following: An Ibanez AFB or AGB 200 (B stock/used for less than £300). An Allen Woody for £270 new. An Aria Tab 66 for £395 new! Probably not an Eastwood Classic 4, as I am looking less for that 60ies sound, as I didn't like my violin bass of old. And I'm more on the hunt for something a little jazzy or funky. One issue is I will only be using the bass for home recording. Neighbour issues mean headphones or simply unplugged. One reason I'm in love with (Semi) Hollow Bodies! And I don't have a problem with Short Scale, as long as the tone is ample. And in fact, I'm wary of the larger (hollow body) basses, and the issue of strings buzzing or flapping around! 9-) Any tips? I've checked every (badly recorded) YouTube video I can, several times. Unfortunately, I don't know anywhere local that I can test all of these basses. One thing is it seems that I'll be needing some Flatwounds for whichever one I choose! Anyhow, thanks for any tips...

I have an Italia Rimini - it has a modern yet 60s sound and styling. I don't play electric bass musch thes days,but when I do, that's the one I pick up,

Here: [url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/italia.html"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/italia.html [/url] scroll down tot he bottom of the page.

I had a JC. Great but a bit overpriced for me currently. The Chowny sounds good. I think it sounds more snappy than the Coronado, personally. Not 100% sure about the Chowny colours, but... Still wondering about the Allen Woody or Ibanez. I think that they have the looks. But, it would seem that the Chowny is the funkier option, at least compared to the Allen Woody. But, the Allen Woody can be had for £270 new which is a great price.

Edited by tracktionmonkey

Yep. And the BEX 4 sounds sweet. Just missed out on one a while back on TheFretBoard. £220! I just tried out a couple of Ibanez AGB200s today in Denmark St. Not so impressed with the variable setup & feel.Wish I could find an Allen Woody to try out. They get good reviews. But as usual not many decent YouTube videos. I saw a Guild M85 today for £599 ex display. But that and the great long scale Gretsch I saw, are not budget buys! The Chowny seems like a goodun. But, less history and unable to try one out in London. Hmmm...

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1440363690' post='2850167']
I have an Italia Rimini - it has a modern yet 60s sound and styling. I don't play electric bass musch thes days,but when I do, that's the one I pick up,

Here: [url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/italia.html"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/italia.html [/url] scroll down tot he bottom of the page.
[/quote]

What's the neck like on these? I had a Mondial which I'd have kept if the neck had been slimmer.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1440437997' post='2850737']

What's the neck like on these? I had a Mondial which I'd have kept if the neck had been slimmer.
[/quote]

It's wider and flatter than my EBMM Sterling. Feels nice and playable to me but I spend most of my time playing double bass, so all electric bass necks feel nice and playable to me....

[quote name='tracktionmonkey' timestamp='1440357425' post='2850087']
...Probably not an Eastwood Classic 4, as I am looking less for that 60ies sound, as I didn't like my violin bass of old...
[/quote]

I doubt whether the Eastwood sounds any more or less 60s than any of the other basses you've mentioned as being interested in. For all their revivalist looks the instruments themselves are made with modern techniques and standard modern parts.

BigRedX...I really like their classic look. I was even tempted to click on a good value one on eBay. I only mentioned the 60ies/McCartney sound as from the few videos I'd found on Youtube, that was the sound I heard and what the reviewer quoted them as producing. I'd love to try one. But, when I went down Denmark St. today there some notable omissions on the bass front. The Chowny seems to be the most funky so far, in that price range. Oh well...I must keep looking.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1440449991' post='2850922']
[center]It would be remiss of me not to suggest my Epiphone JC :) basschat.co.uk/topic/259580-epiphone-jack-casady-with-hard-case-price-reducCed/page__fromsearch__1[/center]
[/quote]

Thanks. I enjoyed my old JC! But, I thought I'd look for something a bit funkier this time...if possible. Whilst still continuing my love for hollow!

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1440452471' post='2850971']
Mike, SK8, has a Chowny for sale. Check the Basses F/S section.
[/quote]

Yes, I spoke with him. Still for sale. Seems like a good deal. If you want that purple 8-) If I could try one out in London I'd be able to make a decision. For now I have the Chowny YouTube vids. And the choice between their name and Epiphone & some of the more established brands. I looked at the Guild M85 today and it had quality written all over it. Thinking that perhaps the Allen Woody is similar. But, I have heard the quality feedback for the CB-1 too...

Looks like the Chowny could be the winner...I cannot play like this guy. But, the tone achieved seems clearer and punchier than what I'm finding elsewhere in this Semi Hollow price range. Although there are actually hardly any well recorded videos on YouTube for the Aria Tab 66, Yamaha BEX 4, Allen Woody & so on. Good marketing Mr Chowny 8-) http://youtu.be/OSSQibxkrSE

Two comments to make.

Firstly, I'm personally very wary of making any decisions based on the sound of any on-line sound clips. There are just too many variables and factors that influence what you will hear.

Secondly, I'd say just go for it and buy one. You'll have a much better idea of what you want (and don't want) after living with something for a while. If you don't like what you get; well, pretty much everything can be sold again if priced realistically. If you do lose money, that can be looked on as 'rental' costs.

Both of the above are very much my personal opinions! So no hard feelings if you think it's rammel.
Good luck with your search!
I'm sure Basschaters (me included) would let you try out their basses.

Edited by Len_derby

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1440484395' post='2851083']
Two comments to make.

Firstly, I'm personally very wary of making any decisions based on the sound of any on-line sound clips. There are just too many variables and factors that influence what you will hear.

Secondly, I'd say just go for it and buy one. You'll have a much better idea of what you want (and don't want) after living with something for a while. If you don't like what you get; well, pretty much everything can be sold again if priced realistically. If you do lose money, that can be looked on as 'rental' costs.

Both of the above are very much my personal opinions! So no hard feelings if you think it's rammel.
Good luck with your search!
I'm sure Basschaters (me included) would let you try out their basses.
[/quote]

I'd agree with all of this. I've completely given up on sound clips/YouTube demos for basses. With the appropriate playing technique and recording it's possible to make any bass pretty much sound however you want it to. IMO all it tells you is how that particular player with whatever signal path they have chosen to make the recording sounds when they play the bass. IME, when I get to play the bass in question I always make it sound completely different.

If you want a more modern sounding hollow body then IMO you can't go far wrong with a Warwick Starbass, but I think you'll find that with the right signal path pretty much any of the basses listed in your OP will do the job.