Why become a member? ×

Get out of the way...again and again!!!

bonzodog

Had an afternoon gig today. Great gig and lots of people there.
Trying to get gear out of the pub though while it was still open was a nightmare. My pet hate is people who stand in doorway and you politely ask then to move while you carry gear out only for them to move back in the way again on your next trip. I must have asked a bloke tonight 10 times to move out of the way and every time he reappeared in the way!!!!

Fridays gig was like that, tiny doorway at the end of the bar to negotiate with big drunk bloke stood there. When you say excuse me he would just lean forward a bit instead of actually moving, trying to get a doublebass past him without knocking the bridge over was fun.
First time I wait for them to move, after that it's a loud cheery "scuse me" as I come barrelling through with the PA.
If they're too thick to work it out after the first ask then they will physically feel why they should move.
The thing is they are a punter and without punters venues won't want bands, so you have to put up with it.

When you arrange to have a sensible, sober person carrying heavy, expensive musical equipment through a throng of drunken, lairy, revellers, it tends to rarely turn out the way you would want it to.
I try to leave the packing up until the majority of folk have gone, although I remember one occasion when we were setting up and the pub was packed with students. We struggled like hell to erect our musical masterpiece with bodies everywhere. As soon as we finished, we got up to play and almost to a man, they left and we played the whole evening to about five people. The manager was raging because he had booked us to play for these students, he had put out a big pot of free chilli on for them and they all pissed off. Students, eh?

"Save me asking you every time I pass to get out of the way, we`re unloading the whole bands gear now, so how about I say excuse me for the rest of the evening" usually works, even to the stoopidest. If that doesn`t work, walk into them cab first a couple of times.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1440430562' post='2850654']
"Save me asking you every time I pass to get out of the way, we`re unloading the whole bands gear now, so how about I say excuse me for the rest of the evening" usually works, even to the stoopidest. If that doesn`t work, walk into them cab first a couple of times.
[/quote]

This technique is essential at the White Hart in Hemel :D

We used to play a place in Stroud that was like this. Getting the monobrows to move aside was so difficult, you'd think we were asking them for money. An "excuse me" was generally met with a tut and a 2" shuffle in the wrong direction. Don't play there any more thank god.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1440403679' post='2850285']
We have a gig like this where the dance floor is the route out and they have decks going after the band has finished. You strangely pray for a quiet night so you can get out unharmed!!!
[/quote]

My old band used to have a regular gig at a venue like this. It was the only place for miles so would be packed with metallers until the bands finished and then within the space of about 5 minutes the place would empty and re-fill with locals out for the DJ. Of course this all started while we were still packing our stuff away so to escape we had no choice but to cross the dance floor.

Now due to the volume levels a verbal 'excuse me' was pointless so a light tap or bump usually did the trick. One time this bloke refused to move, apparently. I had the right hump by now so I simply proceeded to barge through with my 810, expecting him to get the message. Instead I soon realised I was pushing the guy along the dance floor to various screams of horror and protest. Turns out the chap was disabled, on crutches and simply couldn't get out of the way quick enough. Luckily he wasn't hurt and saw the funny side. I apologised profusely and bought him a drink, then drove home feeling utterly wretched.

We played a fashion festival where the compere was a middle aged, slightly overweight leather tanned bloke dressed in speedos, straw hat and shades. As we were struggling to get through the backstage area full of wannabe models and fussy mums the drummer couldn't get passed this guy, who backed his thinly clad arse right into him. The guy turns round surprised and it turns out to be Keith Allen! He was great, and promptly persuaded everybody to move out of our way.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1440522317' post='2851561'] There should be a fire extinguisher nearby that you can use to hold open the fire door. ;) [/quote]

yes, so you can hit people who stand in the way in the head with it...

it's a general pet peeve of mine: doors are to go through from one side to the other... don't stand in front of them!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1440574153' post='2851971']
We played a fashion festival where the compere was a middle aged, slightly overweight leather tanned bloke dressed in speedos, straw hat and shades. As we were struggling to get through the backstage area full of wannabe models and fussy mums the drummer couldn't get passed this guy, who backed his thinly clad arse right into him. The guy turns round surprised and it turns out to be Keith Allen! He was great, and promptly persuaded everybody to move out of our way.
[/quote]

Fashion and speedos in the same sentence ? Well done!