Why become a member? ×

Valve amp buzz

Twincam

I've got a buzz coming from my amp. I thought it was the caps or the valves so all the caps have been changed. And I figured it was the valves but on taking all the valves out the buzz is still there. It's still there when no speaker attached. The buzz is constant it doesn't change with volume control or bass plugged in or not.

Sounds like it could be coming from the transformer. I've tried pressing on the transformer in case it was loose but it didn't change. I assume it's not the output transformer as the buzz isn't coming through the speaker.

Other than that the amp works great no trouble at all. Suggestions? Although I think it's now best off at an amp tech. Is there any harm in using it?.

I'm no expert but is it definitely the amp? my rig buzzes like hell at home whenever I stand anywhere near the lights.... dodgy house electrics.

*edit - oh I see its comming straight from the amp not whats coming out the speakers? In that case it's probably not the lights...

Edited by CamdenRob

Hi Twincam,

A word of warning is that you should never operate a valve amp without a speaker lead connected as it can cause damage the output transformer.

What is the make and model of the amp?

All transformers and wound components will vibrate to some extent. Usually it should be so quiet that its not a problem ie ok for recording. Anything more than that then I would try and work out the source as you are doing by applying pressure to the various safely exposed parts. Sometimes tightening the transformer screws will fix it. Depending on the amp there are screws that pull the laminates together and then there are screws that secure the transformer to the chassis.

Other sources are of buzz are neon lights, capacitors

[quote name='mikeydee' timestamp='1440412470' post='2850368']
Hi Twincam,

A word of warning is that you should never operate a valve amp without a speaker lead connected as it can cause damage the output transformer.

What is the make and model of the amp?

All transformers and wound components will vibrate to some extent. Usually it should be so quiet that its not a problem ie ok for recording. Anything more than that then I would try and work out the source as you are doing by applying pressure to the various safely exposed parts. Sometimes tightening the transformer screws will fix it. Depending on the amp there are screws that pull the laminates together and then there are screws that secure the transformer to the chassis.

Other sources are of buzz are neon lights, capacitors
[/quote]

It's ok was only a quick on off test. Ok tried moving amp to different location same problem so it's not interference. I will try tighten the transformer. The amp is a traynor yba2b 1972.

Most likely tightening will fix it. On an old amp like that the constant heating and cooling leads to stretching of the bolts or whatever.

Another option is to give the bell covers a light bash with a hammer just to distort the metal. If this is the cause it can alter the resonance and reduce it.

Good luck with fix.

Old trick is to loosen the screws, and with the amp on and buzzing give the tranny a good clout woth the handle of a screwdriver. But dont do that, its dangerous to work with the amp powered up... :D

If the amp has a silicon rectifier, could be one of yer new caps is the wrong way around, or the rec has died, drawing excess current from the tranny might make it buzz. But then I'd expect it to smell or be getting hot, probably both.