Why become a member? ×

Got bass chops?

visog

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440444101' post='2850819']
Well I like the guy in the wig... but I'm not that impressed with solo/virtuoso party-piece type bass playing. Yes, it's probably just jealousy as I'm not a virtuoso bass player myself, before anyone else says it... ;)
[/quote]

If you mean the guy in the crazy yellow outfit, that's MonoNeon, he is an amazingly talented bassist, pretty much a virtuoso, check out his channel.

I agree with the party piece comment, lots of talented people out there, but I've never understood the obsession with speed, literally nobody apart from a handful of blokes with ocd will ever care about how fast you can play, and fast slap bass is actually positively despised in most musical situations, in a similar way to poodle haired guitar shredding. The concept of being 'the best' is completely weird in a musical context, people confuse music with sport sometimes.

Having said that, with most of these guys, their chops are a product of deep musical knowledge, and those chops come from a genuine place rather than as a one off party trick.

Some amazing players there, although personally I dislike the chorus-soaked high register melodic noodling stuff.

Nathan Navarro's dubstep intro was cool.

Miki Santamaria (Chrome Yamaha BB) is superb! Really funky and great tone.

Nik West (coloured strings) sounds great, but the tone seems very muffled.

Cody Wright's envelope filter stuff is funky as hell.

Rene Flachsenhaar (semi hollow with bulbous lower horn), love that too.

Eyal Amir (Nord Lead ?) - love that synth tone.

Pascal Mulot wins tinniest slap bass tone award 😁

Edited by Roland Rock

An eight-minute orgy of odious stunt-bass, then.

Which highlights the uncomfortable truth that if you're going to utilise the bass guitar as an instrument for solo self-expression, you broadly have two choices: anaemic atonal blooping, or frenetic clattering and pinging.

Don't do it, kids! :lol:

Jon.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1440451550' post='2850954']
Having said that, with most of these guys, their chops are a product of deep musical knowledge, and those chops come from a genuine place rather than as a one off party trick.
[/quote]

Yep, I agree with that.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1440458278' post='2851016']
An eight-minute orgy of odious stunt-bass, then.

Which highlights the uncomfortable truth that if you're going to utilise the bass guitar as an instrument for solo self-expression, you broadly have two choices: anaemic atonal blooping, or frenetic clattering and pinging.

Don't do it, kids! :lol:

Jon.
[/quote]

There is a 3rd, have you heard Steve Lawson or Michael Manring ?

I enjoyed it! :)

I get that nobody likes a showoff, but the video does a nice job in illustrating how diverse bass playing can be - technique, tone, dress code, etc...

Hard to pick a favourite, but perhaps Rene Flachsenhaar (04:17) for his solid, old school funk.

Also nice to see Steve Lawson of this parish doing his things; and Scott Devine.

Loads of stuff that would sound better and be a lot easier to play if it was done on a guitar or a synth rather than a bass. So for me most of this was the bass playing equivalent of a dog walking on its hind legs. Impressive only because it has been made unnecessarily difficult through the wrong choice of instrument.

Having said that I like the two fretless bass pieces. One was beautifully melodic while still being a "bass" piece and the other drove the music along like a bastard. And the piece played on the keyboard, showing that it's all about picking the right instrument to do the job.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1440506020' post='2851325']

Hard to pick a favourite, but perhaps Rene Flachsenhaar (04:17) for his solid, old school funk.

[/quote]+1 and the Italian chap @4:19 for me. Both have a really nice groove, but in differing styles. Having massive chops is fun for the occasional 'stunt' but give me a deep, solid groove anytime.

Scott Devine was nice too.

It made me feel nauseous. All those dudes pulling sex faces. I once saw a band where the bass player simply solo'd his way through every song and the lead guitarist not to be outdone kept licking and rolling his way through the chord changes slipping in sneaky elaborate extra riffs at every opportunity after which he would get a "you rascal" type look from the bass player. To which he would respond with a "what am I like?" Roll of the eyes and straight into next nauseating ridiculously excessive chord change. These guys needed to get a room and get it over and done with and if it broke up the band then so be it but these were two repressed dudes. The memory has made me feel a little queasy. I need to lie down.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1440510924' post='2851372']
It made me feel nauseous. All those dudes pulling sex faces. I once saw a band where the bass player simply solo'd his way through every song and the lead guitarist not to be outdone kept licking and rolling his way through the chord changes slipping in sneaky elaborate extra riffs at every opportunity after which he would get a "you rascal" type look from the bass player. To which he would respond with a "what am I like?" Roll of the eyes and straight into next nauseating ridiculously excessive chord change. These guys needed to get a room and get it over and done with and if it broke up the band then so be it but these were two repressed dudes. The memory has made me feel a little queasy. I need to lie down.
[/quote]

I always wanted to see the Police live.

Absolutely hated that. The cuts were just way too [b]short[/b]. :P

Chops are two things: losers use them to show off; musicians use them as a musical tool, and in this vid, IMHO at least many used them as a tool.
Kudos!
Not everyone with chops is not a musician.

Edited by BassTractor