Why become a member? ×

Impressing strangers?

ChunkyMunky

It's not too bad trying to find material to impress other bassists and perhaps to a minor degree, other musicians. How about impressing non-musicians? I've got an interview for a dental university and surprise, surprise - I've got to take my bass up to show dexterity. I was originally set on doing the Michael Jackson track 'Speed Demon'. Anyone who's played that can testify as to how difficult the 32nd note flurry on the chorus is. Maybe not...

All of this leads me to wonder - what would you play to impress a stranger who's probably not a musician? I'm thinking of going for groove rather flash. :)

Try the bass line to Kenny Loggins ' Footloose ' ( original Nathan East bass line )

Not flash, just tasty, but easy to finger (ooer matron ) The non chorus bits are by the by, its just the chorus that tap dances along nicely

So the vid is some guy just covering the chorus. Not too keen on his tone, but thats just personal taste

For those too hip or young to remember footloose, dont worry about it :)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au96KTuGRPo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Au96KTuGRPo[/url]

Edited by fleabag

I think playing something they know, rather than a bass line. Even if it's a 'well known' bass line, chances are they won't know it.

Something by Bach, or a simple chord melody thing maybe ? Just the melody and a few bass notes, That would be more impressive for me, if I was a non-musician.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1440474843' post='2851059']
Nothing flashy or fast impresses me. Groove, timing and soul does. There are guys that can lay down a 1-4-5 blues progression done right that gets my interest before Sir Duke.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes but the question was for something that will impress NON musicians and, rightly or wrongly, fast/flashy is what they will see as impressive.

Edited by Rikki1984

The question is, what kind of musician would a dentist be? I would say that you want to show that you're calm, steady, capable of long study and careful practice, relaxed under pressure and able to carry off quite tricky pieces of work in a reliable way.
So maybe something not too fast and flashy but with some delicate twiddly bits, as elegant as you can manage and not in any way giving a 'party animal' vibe. Bach sounds good to me.

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1440481713' post='2851071']
Yes but the question was for something that will impress NON musicians and, rightly or wrongly, fast/flashy is what they will see as impressive.
[/quote]

Have to agree. We have a running joke where during the one song we have where we all get our introductions and a few bars to solo, i dont actually play a single note.
I play a percussion triplet that moves up the fretboard and the crowd seem to appreciate that far more than if i played something which was actually impressive to another musician.
Its ridiculous and i do wince a bit at the thought there is another bass player in the crowd.

To impress a non-musician stranger, play something that they are likely to know. Another One Bites The Dust, Billie jean, Down In The Tube Station, Eton Rifles etc, anything where the bassline is a prominent lead in the song.

Widdling away on a very techinical part that they don`t know may make them think oh he knows what he`s doing, but play something they know, oh he must be good. It`s amazing how people work that way - play something mainstream and they usually think you`re much better, cos as "it`s famous" it must be difficult.