Why become a member? ×

Markbass speaker problem

kedo

My Markbass CDM121p combo has been off for repair. I assumed that was a power amp problem but it turns out that I have managed to blow the speaker. £165 to replace, £60 for speaker and £65 labour. VAT and carriage brings it up to £165. Should I consider a third party speaker (power handling should be 400w) and fit it myself, or bite the bullet. Advice please.

Edited by kedo

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1440524212' post='2851579']
Just buy and fit the speaker yourself. £65 to fit a new driver is criminal. I hope some of the £65 was to cover looking at the amp although any decent tech should spot a blown driver within seconds.
[/quote]

My thoughts too.

They will also be factoring in a 3/6 month warranty as well, of course, but you would have the warranty on the speaker itself anyway.

Trouble is, I can't source a Markbass unit. Apparently they don't allow third party sales. It needs to be a 400w unit. I don't care about it being yellow but would hope that the fixing holes coincide with the cabinet baffle. Any ideas regarding speaker makes?

Edited by kedo

I don't know if this changed when they moved production overseas, but the older Markbass drivers were made by B&C. If they still are, that makes the price seem pretty good as B&C's 12" drivers start at something close to the £165 you were quoted when bought individually. There aren't many quality neodymium 12"s for much less than £100 retail and you'd have to determine whether a third party replacement was suitable for your cabinet.

[quote name='kedo' timestamp='1440529965' post='2851679']
Thanks for that. Is the Markbass driver neodymium?
[/quote]

I haven't seen inside the recent ones but they used to be a neodymium driver which (going by the frame and magnet) was based on the B&C HPL series, though it may well have had some alterations to the design to suit Markbass's specifications.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1440534134' post='2851736']
Someone is auctioning one on eBay, although it doesn't look anything like the HPLs. <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARK-BASS-NEODYMIUM-12-NEO-SPEAKER-DRIVER-B-C-MADE-IN-ITALY-/221855157676?hash=item33a7990dac>
[/quote]

Hmm, you're right, it doesn't! They used to have the cast frame complete with "HPL" sticker. I guess they must have changed them when the HPLs were discontinued.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1440534745' post='2851751']
I've seen Markbass cabs with HPLs in them, but I've never seen a B&C with a pressed steel chassis. I suppose anything is possible if you're buying in large enough quantities. The eBay one is from a relatively old Markbass cab.
[/quote]

The newer CL speakers do, though oddly they're not much cheaper than the HPLs were.

Hi, I did a replacement driver on a markbass 4x10 a while ago. When the replacement driver arrived it was different from the original but was still yellow. The original looked like a piece of engineering but the replacement was a much cheaper item. As mentioned it's based on a B&C and if your prepared it can be 're coned by Wembley loudspeakers but only in black.£65 Labour to remove a grill and four bolts is a pisstake. Was it real electronics?

Edited by Subthumper

Yes it was Real Electronics. I've always found them ok but they want £65 for fitting a speaker that I could do in two minutes. They have also offered to get an express delivery (they previously estimated 4 weeks delivery from Italy) for £50. Not impressed with Markbass either. There are only a few sizes of speakers so why don't RE keep a stock?

[quote name='kedo' timestamp='1440523054' post='2851571']
Should I consider a third party speaker (power handling should be 400w) and fit it myself
[/quote]You should, but to do so you'd need the complete set of T/S specs and SPL chart on the original driver to be sure of a match, and that information is rarely divulged, mainly so that those in your position have no choice on where to get a new driver.

As indicated this isn't expensive for a neo driver, replacing it means the combo is 'original' and will get a decent price if you ever sell. The sort of replacement you might go for is something like the Celestion http://www.bluearan.com/index.php?id=CELBN12300S&browsemode=category at £115 or something similar. You won't know what it sounds like until you have spent your money and time. It may be better, but probably not as good and certainly not the same.

I'm fairly optimistic you could get a speaker to work in the cab, re tuning may be necessary but someone here will help with that.

So, you could save yourself £50 maybe. If you sell the cab it might be you'd lose that and more. There may be some fiddling involved too both to tuning and the mounts on the driver may vary. Only you can decide what is best for you.

I'm not recommending the Celestion by the way, I haven't modelled it so I just don't know if it is right or not.

Real Electronics are the UK licensed servicing and parts. Ring them up tell them the serial number of the amp and they will next day you a new speaker I can t remember how much mine cost.

I've used them 4 or 5 times

You can fit it yourself, 8 screws and some push on connectors easy job

I bought a pair of B&C drivers from an ebay shop called Audio Clearance Sales a few months ago, when they arrived they turned out to be Proel, who I believe used to be the Markbass distributor? You could try them, I only paid £60 for a pair of 6" 16ohm drivers and as you say, it's a ten minute job to fit a new driver yourself.

Actually, not the Markbass distributor, I meant B&C distributor...

Edited by 4-string-thing