Why become a member? ×

Making a bass neck

JJW

Ive made a guitar body now so the next step is to build the body and neck of a guitar. I know how to do most of it but I have a few questions:
What trussrod do I need to use for a bass neck?
How can I shape the wood into the back of the neck shape?
Does anyone know where to get ready made fretboards because you need lots of tools that I don't have access to and I'm not ready for that yet.
Also does anyone have some general tips?
Thanks
Josh

Probably worth asking on the bass build diaries section.

There are some seriously skilled people on that thread.

The main thing I've picked up is that you need a lot more clamps than you might think when building a bass.

Edited by Cato

If you want to make things a little easier, you could start with a pre-slotted fingerboard. I got the one for my last build from David Dyke, and despite the website straight out of 1998 they're pleasant to deal with and their woods seem consistently good. [url="http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/"]http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/[/url]
I've just picked up a slotted fingerboard from Touchstone Tonewoods for a new build which I'm a bit less happy with as it has a couple of issues. Perhaps it's a one-off, but I'll be sending that one back. Pre-slotted boards usually still need to have the radius sanded into the face, but radius blocks aren't expensive.
For truss rods, if you pick up a modern double action rod rather than a vintage Fender style it will be easier to install, as the double action rods fit in a simple straight 6mm channel whereas the Fender style need all sorts of jigs to route a curved channel. If it's still available, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Melvin Hiscock's book "Make your own electric guitar". While you might find all the information you need online, I still find it useful to have a book to hand.

+1 on Melvin's book. Ignore the ridiculous prices on Amazon - he now sells direct from his own website (sorry, you'll have to search for that!). I phoned the number on his site and spoke to the man himself, who was kind enough to sign it too. He's a very nice bloke and the book is a mine of information.

Also have a look at the build threads on ProjectGuitar.com

Edit: in fact I'll have to read my copy again as my guitar building course starts in a couple of weeks. Excited! :D

Edit 2: Here you go ...
http://www.melvynhiscock.com/MYOEG.html

Edited by Norris