Why become a member? ×

Power supply Moog Minitaur (Zombie thread!)

steviedee

I'm looking for a pedalboard power supply that can power 5 or so pedals but crucially my Moog Minitaur it's 12 volts at 1200ma. I'm a bit of an electrical numpty so I'm not quite sure what 1200ma means other than the one I've bought doesn't work!

Edited by steviedee

1000 ma (milliamps) to 1 amp, so 1200ma is 1.2amps... So you need a power supply that will supply that, at 12v too, plus of course whatever else you want to add to it.. There are loads of guides all over google with what amps or ma current various pedals require to operate.

Cheers Stu finding a bit problematic to find a power supply that delivers that. There is some info online stating that the Minitaur psu is 1200 ma but the device draws much less. Potentially you could use a lesser powered supply. The Cioks DC 10 has two DC outlets at 400 ma so maybe I could double those to get 800. Need to do some research I think.

Cheers for the info! I spoke to the Poul Ciok who makes Cioks power supplies very helpful. He said the [font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Minitaur manual states 7 Watts which corresponds to 583mA. He say's Ill need [/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] to have 600mA available for this unit.[/size][/font]

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, prowla said:

Necro-thread time!

How did it go with using a 600mA supply for the Minitaur.

I have mine rack-mounted and would like something tidier than the plugboard and wall-warts currently inside.

A very old thread. Things have rapidly moved on in the world in the last 7 years.

Have a look at USB C power supplies.

You'd need the right adaptor. There are a load of power banks around that will supply multiple voltages. You can also charge some of them while you're using them. But if you charge the powerbank before your gig it's another mains supply you don't need to run anywhere. 

USB C stuck in my mind because it can supply different voltages unlike USB A, but it's the power bank application I was thinking of.

Edited by TimR

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Bringing my own thread back from the dead! I forgot I’d found a solution for this or @EBS_freak did 😁, Yankee PS-M12 Power Supply…. Now sold unfortunately!

After a layoff the Moog is back but on a board of it’s own, I’m looking for a power supply just for the Moog ideally with a USB to power the controller KMS 12 Step and having completely forgot about this thread I’ve been scouring the internet looking for options.

I eventually just thought I’ll stick an extension strip  (with usb for the 12 step) under the board. But the Moog Minitaur power supply is too big to fit with the extension under the board. So I’m looking for a power supply that supplies 12 volts at 1200ma. I could buy a Yankee but £179 or try the chap from Cioks advice and try 600 ma or rubber feet as the low tech option.

I found the email from Poul at Cioks

The manual states 7 Watts which corresponds to 583mA.

You'll need to have 600mA available for this unit.

DC5, DC8, DC10, AC10, PF2 and the CIOKOLATE are the options and you'll need the #8800 parallel adapter flex and two 300mA or two 400mA outlets at 12V to power this unit.

Edited by steviedee

• steviedee changed the title to Power supply Moog Minitaur (Zombie thread!)