Why become a member? ×

Looking for an explanation about headphones with different ohm ratings

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I'm after a nice pair of headphones for when I am practicing at home. I've settled on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. For reference, here they are:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/closed-back/pid36050/cid724/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-closed-back-headphones-80-ohms.asp

I'm a little puzzled as to which Ohm version to get however. I will be using them via an Ashdown MiBass 2.0 headphone jack for the most part.

These come in 30ohm, 80ohm and 250ohm versions. I know the higher ohm versions will need a lot more power to drive them, so my question is what, if any, is the benefit of higher resistance models?

Review for them here http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-review.html and by the looks the 80ohm could be the one to go for assuming you don't ever want to use them with something like an iPod (battery powered devices will struggle to power higher impedance headphones which is why the highest impedance 'phones usually need a dedicated headphone amp).

Hi folks,

I ordered the 80ohm version in the end, but due to a mess up with the shop they sent me the 250ohm model. However, it turns out they work fantastically. I've been using them with both my Ashdown MiBass via the headphone socket and also direct into my PC sound-card and they sound amazing. No issues with the volume at all, I doubt they are as loud as my old cheap phones but they still go louder than I would ever want them.

The sound clarity is fantastic too, the bottom end is so clear you can feel the bass and the top end is utterly crisp. I can't recommend the DT770 Pros enough!

Anyhow, cheers for the help

:)