Why become a member? ×

Damaged Wood

anaxcrosswords

Can anyone recommend a DIY repair procedure for this - right product(s) to use etc?

It's my Ibanez SGDR500 and the damaged area began to appear soon after purchase. It's in a spot that doesn't get touched so the surface was evidently faulty to begin with (I'm told the 500 does have a bit of a reputation for this). Some of the odd colouration you can see is actually the remnants of early attempts with felt tip pen!

Furniture touch up pens might be one way to go - they are available in a range of colours. I have no idea at all if they should be used on guitar finishes though. Failing that woodstain. This would require a fair bit of experimentation to get the right shade.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1440624946' post='2852564']
Had that on both of my 505's.

I went down the mahogany woodstain route and its worked fine.

Thin it down with some white spirit before you use it though... its easier to build up layers than it is to remove one...
[/quote]

This is the way to go.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1440625051' post='2852566']
How does this happen? You say that part never gets touched?
[/quote]

My first thought was slap impact, but the damage is between the G and D strings (the OP appears to be left-handed), so I don't think that can be it.

Second guess is fingertip impact, but only if that's where the OP actually plays - thumb on the top of the neck pup could put fingertips in a position to produce wear like that, especially if the action is low. So could slap+pop.

Third guess is a resonance effect, but that is definitely a long shot.

This is all pure speculation, obviously :)

Edited by alyctes

It looks like something went wrong with the finish in the first place, such as a containment on the wood (like silicone) preventing the finish to adhere. I've too have seen several Ibanez basses (same finish) with the exact same problem in the same area, so perhaps they had a batch or two where they balls up the finish. Why that spot though, I don't know, perhaps it lifted from the edge of the neck pocket.

Anyway, careful colour matching with wood dye should get it looking less noticeable, once it has dried you could give it a coat or two of paste wax (Briwax, Liberon etc) to restore a bit of sheen.

Edited by Manton Customs

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1440668766' post='2852776']
Anyway, careful colour matching with wood dye should get it looking less noticeable, once it has dried you could give it a coat or two of paste wax (Briwax, Liberon etc) to restore a bit of sheen.
[/quote]

Briwax / Liberon has worked wonders on my SG satin (now wax glossy) bass :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1442261055' post='2865631']
ive got a satin sg bass , is it a simple job mate?
[/quote]

yes :) And so far (1 year later) not destructive at all. I used Liberon dark oak wax (my bass was chocolate brown) and just rubbed in with cloth. Allow to soak / dry and polish off (shoe brush is good). Have given it several goes over the year. You will get a better result by slackening strings and removing knobs the first time, makes it easier in those areas. The neck is super with this finish - if I ever get round to building myself a bass this is what I will use. I also use the same wax on my Warwicks and all is good. Disclaimer - it worked for me, YMMV.