Why become a member? ×

Love Is....Letting your child play your favourite bass

colgraff

My six year old, who has guitar lessons at school (and has his own guitar) is obsessed with my Dingwall and begs me to let him play with it. As he is my own flesh and blood, I love him unconditionally.....but it is my Dingwall and I am terrified! He is very careful with it, too but still. I wondered if other people suffer from this dilemma and if so, do you fancy posting posting pictures of your pride and joy (with a child attached!!!)?

Cool pic and a cool dude! :)

I don't have photographic evidence of this particular incident... but our first born once rolled off a floor mat mid-way through a nappy change and planted his still toxic backside firmly against my then pride and joy (a Peavy Cirrus BXP I think it was), which I'd carelessly left nearby.

His 'muddy' imprint still haunts me to this day.

Cue gags about bum notes, etc....

My 17 year old daughter is showing an interest in bass, something to do with the new boyfriend playing the guitar - yes I know...

So, I don't mind her having a go on my old Westone (after all it's not exactly top end) but I am not sure her motivation is purely musical.

Should I be more protective about the bass or the daughter?

My boy is three and a half and is pretty fascinated whenever I start playing. Fairly soon he wants to join in and tries to play too and to be honest I'm quite relaxed about it. Tho he does often moan that it's too loud.

I did catch him once about to tip my Gibson SG at the time out of its stand which would have been fatal for it, but since then he's more intrigued than destructive.

At least in a few years time he'll have a few decent instruments to learn on should he want to. Tho at the moment things are limited to him nicking my mic to dance and sing Van Halen tunes (strangely he only likes Sammy Hagar era stuff).

Edited by bassbiscuits

My daughter started playing bass at about 14, I gave her an old P copy that I had bought to cannibalize, within a couple of years she was borrowing my gear for gigs and school concerts. I didnt really mind to be honest, I would have loved to get my hands on decent gear when I was 16.

She doesnt play much now, but I have been known to borrow bits of gear from her.

My brother took a crap in my old mans acoustic, which stuck to the inside and over months desicated. My old man kept complaining about a sh*tty smell in the front room. Eventually some time later my old man dropped his plectrum into the guitar and did the old turn it upside down and shake it whilst looking through the whole. You guessed it the dried poo dislodged and fell out of the guitar hitting my old man in the forehead. We wet ourselves laughing.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1440654480' post='2852649']
My brother took a crap in my old mans acoustic, which stuck to the inside and over months desicated. My old man kept complaining about a sh*tty smell in the front room. Eventually some time later my old man dropped his plectrum into the guitar and did the old turn it upside down and shake it whilst looking through the whole. You guessed it the dried poo dislodged and fell out of the guitar hitting my old man in the forehead. We wet ourselves laughing.
[/quote]

:D
[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/Duplex_Egg_Slice_4bfe25b97dea3_zpsahteh74e.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1440654480' post='2852649']
[/quote]

Crapping in an acoustic must be quite an exercise in accuracy... :blink:

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1440773076' post='2853762']
@ Andy. Those are a fantastic set of pictures and one clever girl! How old is she? 6-ish?
[/quote]

Yeah, just turned six - she's always been interested in the basses, she comments on anything to do with live music "look dad, a fender like yours" etc. very cool.
Here's a split screen from 1 to 6 😂

https://instagram.com/p/5VGyzhuQV3/

A picture from a few years ago of my little girl getting it down on my P-bass.

Her twin brother is arguably more musical, but the other day she tried bowing the upright bass for the first time and after one stroke decided that this was her instrument.
A steep hill, as she is only a few centimeters taller then the bow, but I'm a proud father :D

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440657025' post='2852660']

Crapping in an acoustic must be quite an exercise in accuracy... :blink:
[/quote]
I know... He was in nappies at the time. We are not sure if he put it in there or took a crap in there. Either way... Good skills.