Why become a member? ×

Help! (newbie) - bad shoulder and finger joint

peglegs42

I've been paying bass for almost a year now, and since the start have had pain problems. I am 19, so it's not arthritis.

The worst problem is probably the shoulder - it is a sharp, tingling pain right on the ball. I'm aware it might be due to bad form as it happens most when I play with a pick, but no matter what I do, it comes back every time. :dash1:

As for the finger, it's quite a large hard bump on the inside of the knuckle of my index finger. I'm aware i got it originally from repeatedly having the area pressed against the neck while playing, but now that I've changed my technique, it's still there - and sore.

Sorry to depress people with my first post, but I'm feeling pretty helpless about these things (people telling me it'll go away if I lay off/nothing to worry about and such).

Thanks

I would seek some professional advice on this, either/or GP or an osteopath. There will be plenty of useful advice on here which might help. Osteopaths can manipulate joints which can help release trapped nerves which might or might not be causing your problem. Most of all get some help and don't be a bloke and just "man it out". That might only allow it to get worse.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1440659098' post='2852669']
I would seek some professional advice on this, either/or GP or an osteopath. There will be plenty of useful advice on here which might help. Osteopaths can manipulate joints which can help release trapped nerves which might or might not be causing your problem. Most of all get some help and don't be a bloke and just "man it out". That might only allow it to get worse.
[/quote]

This, especially the "man it out" bit - and I'll add don't self diagnose. Over 15,000 young people & children are affected by arthritis every year.

[/quote]

+1 to the above. When you get the OK from the GP or an osteopath, [i]then[/i] you can start to see if trying a different technique will help. On the "man it out" concept....playing the bass should NEVER involve pain.

Some things to check out, [i]after you have sought medical advice[/i] would be to experiment with different heights at which you wear the bass. Generally a good compromise is to have the main body of the bass at about belt buckle height. A minimum strap width of 3" would be a good idea IMO. Your shoulder problems could also be a case of tension. Sometimes, without realising, we play with the body tensed up. Play in front of a mirror and try to be aware of your body and whether it is tensing up or not.

The "finger" problem is probably due to you pressing down too hard when you fret. The action on your bass may also be too high.
Here is a clip on left hand technique that may be of help :

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRoQuXlj9w"]https://www.youtube....h?v=IeRoQuXlj9w[/url]

Edited by Coilte

I agree with everything said above and would add that AFTER seeking professional advice, are you getting enough exercise? In my early bass playing days, at a similar age to you, I was getting shoulder trouble and was advised to take up walking and jogging to improve my posture and then to join a gym to do back, thigh and shoulder exercises.

Your first post is more impressive than mine .
I advertised a trace Elliot amp for sale , without saying hello first,)
Seriously , you will be inundated by good helpful advice .
Obviously , see a osteopath / doc.
What I would say though , regarding the shoulder, have the strap fitted so that the bass is exactly the same position sitting up as standing. There should be no difference . Billy Sheehan told me that .
It will all be fine. Just hope it doesn't take too long .

Finger lump could be a cyst. Definitely see a doctor, for assurance even if there's "nothing" wrong (if there's pain there must be something!).

And just as an awareness thing, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 22. You're never too young for anything - take your symptoms seriously.

...don't be a bloke and just "man it out".
[/quote]
[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1440661680' post='2852694']
This, especially the "man it out" bit.
[/quote]

As the OP is apparently female, I think 'manning it out' would be unlikely.
As is having a ball in your shoulder, but that would be unusual regardless. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1440673513' post='2852830']
She is in a bad way , what with her peg legs. Hope she'll be ok
[/quote]

Yes, indeed. I can recommend this e-book on bass-playing related injuries. Worked for me.

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/06/01/the-bassists-guide-to-injury-management-now-available-as-ebook/"]http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/06/01/the-bassists-guide-to-injury-management-now-available-as-ebook/[/url]

I have no connection to anyone involved with the book. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440673291' post='2852826']
As the OP is apparently female, I think 'manning it out' would be unlikely.
As is having a ball in your shoulder, but that would be unusual regardless. :)
[/quote]

a) I didn't read that bit :facepalm:
B) Many odd profiles on here with people being daft about age, area and gender
c) OK, we need a new name for it as it isn't entirely exclusive but is a very male phenomenon! Pegleg42, I'll rephrase - don't act like a bloke about this and not seek medical advice :)

[quote name='peglegs42' timestamp='1440629913' post='2852607']
The worst problem is probably the shoulder - it is a sharp, tingling pain right on the ball. I'm aware it might be due to bad form as it happens most when I play with a pick, but no matter what I do, it comes back every time. :dash1:
[/quote]

Which shoulder?

My bad too on gender of OP. I follow Mykesbass on rephrasing. Problems like this at 19 will only get worse as you get older if not dealt with now. That might make me sound old but bad posture and working practice leaves me having to see an osteopath every three months to stop my back going into spasm.

Have you had any lessons with an experienced bass player ? they may see if elements of your playing could be causing the problems.

Once that has been ruled out, if the issues still continue, that would be the time to see GP / physio etc. Reason for that process is; if your bass playing situation is causing the problem,the GP etc will treat the symptoms, but they won't be treating the cause

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1440660023' post='2852677']
How heavy is your bass and does it feel heavy when you're wearing it?
How low are you wearing it?
Does the pain still happen if you play sitting down?
What type of strap are you using?
[/quote]

I play sitting down - I don't gig or anything, so no strap.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1440699157' post='2853132']
Have you had any lessons with an experienced bass player ? they may see if elements of your playing could be causing the problems.

Once that has been ruled out, if the issues still continue, that would be the time to see GP / physio etc. Reason for that process is; if your bass playing situation is causing the problem,the GP etc will treat the symptoms, but they won't be treating the cause
[/quote]

Yes - I get lessons. I'm going to a physio soon for another unrelated problem so was going to bring it up anyway. Thanks for the reply.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1440665033' post='2852738']
I agree with everything said above and would add that AFTER seeking professional advice, are you getting enough exercise? In my early bass playing days, at a similar age to you, I was getting shoulder trouble and was advised to take up walking and jogging to improve my posture and then to join a gym to do back, thigh and shoulder exercises.
[/quote]

Now that I think about it, I actually think the shoulder problem was caused by recklessly doing weights at the gym about 6 months ago - the pain has been on-and-off since but aggravated by my bass playing. Also I rarely go to the gym anymore.