Why become a member? ×

Sharing bass duties with someone who's quite good

2004gdavi

[attachment=199450:Screenshot_2015-08-27-00-36-41_1.jpg][attachment=199450:Screenshot_2015-08-27-00-36-41_1.jpg]

I've got a reunion gig coming up with a band I used to play with many moons ago. Rehearsals have just started and I've included a picture of the band in action. Unfortunately I'm not playing in this shot but waiting my turn to have a go.
Watching the other guy at work was a truly inspiring experience. Seeing him in action close up gave me many new ideas about how to improve my own playing.
Now looking forward to the gig itself.
Cheers Paul if you get to read this.
I hope you other bc'ers out there get the chance to watch quality players at such close quarters.

It's great that you don't feel threatened or intimidated by a great player
I'm sure there are some who would be....

And it's good that you feel inspired and full of new ideas on your own playing

Treat it as some free inspiration and lessons
and good luck :)

Cheers guys.
I think I was able to help Paul remember a couple of the lines as well.
What I liked to see was the way he took the basic format of a line, created a groove and then developed it. It's this latter part that really gave the extra sparkle in the performance.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1440749919' post='2853445']
Who's Paul Turner?
[/quote]
Not sure if you are teasing Lord Sausage?
He's done a whole load of different stuff.. maybe you know this? [url="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbnw6r_jamiroquai-runaway-hq-live-abbey-ro_music"]http://www.dailymoti...-abbey-ro_music[/url]

It's always cool to get up close with other players on any level, a very interesting and educational experience; can really alter self-perspective as well.

As for sharing bass duties with Paul Turner, I don't know what I'd be doing in the position either feeling very humbled or bricking it!

Thanks.
There are a number of session musicians in the band who have a number a worthy credits in their own right.
Whilst not quite in Paul's league, I've had some favourable comments about my own playing.
The thing that really comes out of this is that as a bass player (and this probably goes for drummers too) you are unlikely to have access to a band with another bass player. The few occasions where it does arise provide a great learning experience. At the very least you can have a look at another bass. In this case a 66 jazz, mmmm nice.

I was fortunate to watch Paul work up close, on many gigs and in the studio (Hook End, while the studio still existed). As you've said, his great talent is in developing the basic groove. He's also very economic with his moves, his technique is impeccable, all his fingers are exactly where they need to be. Add great tone and awesome time command. And versatility! Old r&b, disco, pop, synthy club stuff, jazz gigs, blues and some metal on top of that. That email, when he asked me to dep for him on a gig, well I have it printed and framed (ok, I don't but I probably should, who knows if something like this happens again) even if in the end he managed to make it himself. For me, Paul Turner is a model pro bassist, like Pino, but more local so easier to keep up with all the little projects and stuff.

I admire your attitude here to take it as a learning experience. I love watching other bass players at gigs and rehearsals and pick their brains. Always thrilled to have someone show me their tricks, and always honoured when asked about mine (the latter happens more rarely).

Also, congrats on the reunion gig. I haven't heard about the band before, but seems like really good stuff and a seriously fun occasion.