Why become a member? ×

Question about b-e-a-d setup on 4,string

I should really know the answer. I used to have a five string , and loved the feel of the low b.
Now , as I have many basses I was thinking about having 1 permanently tuned to the above setting. This would obviously involve nut adjustment / truss rod etc. and of course using a proper b string from a 5 string pack .

Question is , would the feel be exactly the same as a proper 5,string . Or is it just best to buy a 5?
If I did go ahead, the job would be done by a repair tech , probably graham in denmark street.

Cheers

This is the setup I use but now with DR DDT strings (on the advice of Mark at Bass Direct) with a 34" scale and works fine for me so maybe something like that might be worth trying as it's just the cost of a 4 string set and a setup. Plus no mods to the guitar.

I did BEAD for a while on a J&D Jazz Bass, I used light gauge strings ( .125 B ) and hardly had to adjust the nut and truss rod, worked a treat but ultimately a 5er works better for me as I missed the G string on a couple of tunes.

I have to say, B-E-A-D tuning really appeals to me...

I just find the the string spacing on a 5 string is not to my liking
mainly on the right hand.... I usually find there's not quite enough space between the strings,
for my playing style

I have a cheap Squier 5 string P bass
and the spacing on this bass is much better, but the downside to increased string spacing,
is that my left hand struggles with the extra width of the neck...

I also do find that years of playing 4 strings means that I do sometimes play the wrong string with my right hand
I've been trying to train myself to accommodate the extra string, and it has improved a little
But I think I'd be to wary to gig with a 5 string as of yet
It's also noticeably heavier than any of my 4 strings
EDIT - so that may also impact on my desire / ability to play a long-ish gig (at my age!)

Let us know what you decide, and how you get on
But I think it's gotta be worth a try
Maybe pick up a cheap 2nd hand bass as an experiment?
Or use your least favourite bass you currently have?

Edited by Marc S

Thanks for the imput so far guys . I've been trimming the Heard and am thinking about what bass to use for this . Looking at the steinberger, the neck would suggest it to be an obvious choice. Same with the Washburn status .

I have narrowed the choice down to 2! Both of these basses are more ornamental , ( dean taxi /,jack Daniels ). I think what I will do , is take the jack Daniels bass to Denmark street for a setup and ask them to complete the job , complete with new strings . Feel free to tell me 'don't do it '

Times are hard right now , but I hopefully will get it done in a few weeks.
Btw; I may have missed something above, but do you still get the same feel that you do on a five string ? I did love the feeling on my old schecter 5 string .
Cheers

I used to run a pair of near identical Jazz, one in EADG and the other BEAD and the only real issue I found working that way was momentarily forgetting which bass I'd got in the hands (though that could have been relative to beer) and getting odd scowls from the keyboard player for being "out". Everything else was pretty straight forward, just as said above, minor tweaks in intonation and neck as well as swapping the nut to accommodate the heavier strings.

I've done BEAD, CGCF and BbFBbEb on four string basses. The only one that needed truss rod adjustments was CGCF to cope with increased tension. My strings of choice used to be Power Slinkys, but then I discovered Circle K strings that can be bought for specific tunings and maintaining even tension across all four strings.

I have a habit of trying different (and esoteric) tunings. Have tried Drop-D, Drop-C and BEAD before. Currently I'm using an unusual D-Maj7th tuning (D F# A C#) for a side project I'm working on.

Had my Squier P-Bass tuned to BEAD for a long while, even after I converted it to fretless. If it works for you then go for it. Alternatively, have you considered a bass in standard tuning and getting an octaver for the parts where you need a low B etc?

HTH,
Ian

• 2 weeks later...