Why become a member? ×

2 bass players.

tom1946

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1440691294' post='2853042']
I think Deuteronomy 22 may be relevant here

[i]Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.[/i]
[i]Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together.[/i]
[i]Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.[/i]

Feel free to use this as a Scriptural basis for him not to play with you :lol:
[/quote]

I've always had a mistrust of divers as well.

I'm not at all religious & I don't really understand these things (& I certainly don't want to sound like I'm taking the pee), but is it possible that he sees taking part in the band as part of his worship experience, raising a joyful noise unto the creator? (if that's actually a thing, I know it's a Galliano album), rather than just providing a backing track for the congregation?

My best mate rediscovered christianity a few years ago & I'm constantly suprised by the way he applies it to almost every area of his life.

Alternatively, Double Bass guy could just be being a d*ck.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1440687142' post='2852986']
This is tricky. If you approach it from a purely musical point of view then he is being rude. If you approach it from a religious celebration perspective then you are being a bit precious given that the Lord is generally considered to take a more the merrier stance.
Of course, the truth is probably somewhere in between.
[/quote]
Agreed. We have two drummers, two bass players, two electric guitarists, three keyboard players, and a yet to be counted number of folks who play acoustic guitar that play from time to time in the worship group at our church. The only thing we've never doubled up on at a service is drums (and that's because there's only one kit). Lots of other percussion is being played though!

We who comprise the core group are skilled enough to where we can accomodate and "smooth over" the little hiccups that happen when playing with less experienced musicians. Our rehearsals are always open, and attendence by those outside the core group is always encouraged but never mandated. I think that everyone in the core part of the band agrees: this is NOT our band. It belongs to the Lord. Our efforts are generated and focused on the worship experience of the congregation, and humbly using our talents as love offerings to the Lord. Far be it from me, or anyone else in the core group, to diminish the joy of someone bringing their music or talent and presenting it as an offering before the throne of grace. Far be it from me, or anyone else in the core group, to tell someone that their presence or contribution to the worship experience is not wanted. It's NOT our band. The sound may not be as PURE as we'd like it to be sometimes but, we are not playing for our ears. All we focus on, and strive to do, is to offer up a "joyful noise" to our creator. <><Marc

I think he just wants to praise god by playing.

I'd say let him play, see what comes from it. I'm playing in a band with another bassist tomorrow, should be a fun night. I'm sure I'll learn something from the experience, as I'm sure the 2 of you will.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440693213' post='2853064']
I doubt my preferred 'signature' solution would meet with his community's approval, i.e. deserted warehouse, shoot in face.
[/quote]
Skank, surely you must be running out of deserted warehouses by now? You seem to get through quite a few :lol:

I recall someone in the BC community (can't remember who) saying something like "if you're going to play in a worship group, do it for spiritual reasons rather than musical ones, otherwise you'll be conflicted".

Having said that, I'm with the OP on this. "Community" also means asking " would it be OK if...?" or "do you think it would work if...?". Not just turning up!

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1440755311' post='2853497']
I recall someone in the BC community (can't remember who) saying something like "if you're going to play in a worship group, do it for spiritual reasons rather than musical ones, otherwise you'll be conflicted".

Having said that, I'm with the OP on this. "Community" also means asking " would it be OK if...?" or "do you think it would work if...?". Not just turning up!
[/quote]

Indeed.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1440754143' post='2853486']
Surely if you have more people that is needed, ie, you've doubled up on some instruments, it could be run like most Sunday league football teams? If you don't turn up for training, you don't play at the weekend! And as he'd not bothered with rehearsals...
[/quote]

My feeling exactly, he's never asked if he could come along let alone asked me if I was ok with it, just bad manners imo

[/quote]

again totally agree. thanks for all your input guys, I feel a bit better about stopping him playing this sunday now.

I'll report back when I see what happens on the day B)

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1440690594' post='2853031']

..................... but I think he just turned up and pleased himself :angry:

[/quote]

I've got to be honest , last time I did that I was asked to leave , .........................Oh sorry , I read that as pleasured :blush:

Henri Texier played with Steve Swallow in the band and Coltranee Africa has two bass players. Ron Carter had a quartet with him on piccolo bass and another bass player in the rhythm section. Stanley Clarke had a band with Jimmy Earl on bass. The kid is not pushy, he just knows his Jazz history.....

• 3 weeks later...

(grin) For a while, a local pedal steel player used to "just happen to be in the neighbourhood" when I had a solo gig.
He would come in smiling like crazy with steel guitar in one hand and fender twin in the other.
"You dont mind if I join in, do you? I dont want paying or anything"

Great, great player but I always thought it was a bit weird
And it got even weirder on the nights I was doing all Soul and Motown...... :lol:

I remember seeing Little Richard at a rock n roll package tour event.
Fantastic band with horns section, sounded amazing.
He had two bassists - a great player of mature years holding it all down
really well, and a more err..'flamboyant' young chap (looked a bit like Prince)
whose job seemed to be running around a great deal & occasionally playing some unison lines etc.
And smiling a lot at LR.

"if you're going to play in a worship group, do it for spiritual reasons rather than musical ones, otherwise you'll be conflicted".
[/quote]

Conflicted how ?

I played in a band who where playing full band "hillsong" type music , I was asked to play and don't consider myself a Christian , so it would not be possible for me to be doing it for spiritual reasons (at least christian based ones)

Having said that, I did enjoy some thought provoking sermons during my time playing with them.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1440683163' post='2852936']
A lot of you know I play in a church music group. Instrument wise we have 1x 12 string, 1x 6 string, me on bass and a keyboard player + 4 or 5 singers. Bear with me here.

about 3 months ago we had a new youth worker start at the church, he happens to play a double bass, our minister recently retired and we had a farewell service for her and the church was full. Imagine my surprise when I arrived to find the youth worker there with his DB.

I asked him if he was going to play it alongside me and he said yes. I said one bass is enough for a small band like ours but he played anyway.

This guy never asked if it was ok to play, never came to a practice or said anything to us which I thought was damned rude!

Long story short it is our new minister's induction service this sunday so I rang this guy and asked if he was planning to play again and he said yes so I asked him not to and after some to'ing and fro'ing he backed down.

Am I being too precious about this? I really think his manners and etiquette are poor.

thanks.
[/quote]
[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1440702731' post='2853166']
Agreed. We have two drummers, two bass players, two electric guitarists, three keyboard players, and a yet to be counted number of folks who play acoustic guitar that play from time to time in the worship group at our church. The only thing we've never doubled up on at a service is drums (and that's because there's only one kit). Lots of other percussion is being played though!

We who comprise the core group are skilled enough to where we can accomodate and "smooth over" the little hiccups that happen when playing with less experienced musicians. Our rehearsals are always open, and attendence by those outside the core group is always encouraged but never mandated. I think that everyone in the core part of the band agrees: this is NOT our band. It belongs to the Lord. Our efforts are generated and focused on the worship experience of the congregation, and humbly using our talents as love offerings to the Lord. Far be it from me, or anyone else in the core group, to diminish the joy of someone bringing their music or talent and presenting it as an offering before the throne of grace. Far be it from me, or anyone else in the core group, to tell someone that their presence or contribution to the worship experience is not wanted. It's NOT our band. The sound may not be as PURE as we'd like it to be sometimes but, we are not playing for our ears. All we focus on, and strive to do, is to offer up a "joyful noise" to our creator. <><Marc
[/quote]
@OP Aye, it's a tricky one. I've had experience on both sides of the fence. TBH you both sound like really enthusiastic players and worshippers, and that's to be commended. I don't think you're being too precious - if etiquette had been observed, the guy should have at least approached the worship leader (your wife) first and maybe gone to a rehearsal or two before being invited to join the worship team/band. To just tip up and start playing is just bad manners.

[i]However[/i]

I have been guilty of being a little [i]too[/i] enthusiastic and precious about playing in a large multi-instrument worship band (it's MY slot/turn to play etc etc) and I've had to be rebuked by the leader (and she was right to do so). I've had to go back to basics and improve on some of my key skills etc and also work on my humility too :P at the end of the day (and I agree with DO6) we are not there to 'play a gig' - we're there to lead the congregation to a place of worship that honours and glorifies our Lord, and to do that we have to take a step back from the 'look at me' mentalilty. Ultimately we all are blessed with different gifts and it's up to the Lord to determine how they are used. I know from my own experience that being in a worship team that works together for that goal can be so much more than the sum of its parts, and that it's brought a sense of meaning and purpose back into my playing.

The point that I'm trying to make is that there's so much out there to offend us, don't let it come between you and God. Have a friendly chat with the guy, maybe get together with the rest of the worship team and see if you can agree on a rota or something. It's really not worth the hassle of getting bent out of shape over TBH.

Anyway, good luck and God Bless

Ian