Why become a member? ×

Acoustic 406 model cabinet

Left Foot

Hi guys. A while back I picked up a head with what I was told was an acoustic 406 model cabinet except the bins had been seperated into two very light weight cabs. Has anyone have any details about this model is I wanna make sure im connecting them right with the right loads. Google let down pn thia occation.

Hiya,
I have a couple of 406 cabs, happy to photograph them for you, or take measurements, but pics would help me understand better.
Also, RichardDD was restoring a 406, and if you search on Basschat, his pics should show up. What speaker chassis were in the cabs ?
Mike

• 3 weeks later...

So, did I mention these werent going to win a beauty contest.

Atleast looking in the cabs ( I think) know how to chain them together bridged from amp. Amp to left cab input, right input to other cab - I only looked in the back of the really scappy one but any heads up would be great otherwise.
I have no idea what the W of these drivers are, I picked them up with a Laney B1 so should handle 500 each hopefully... Yep, I should have remembered / phitied how they were wired.Cheers

Edited by Left Foot

• 2 weeks later...

In theory the speaker should have an EIA number which will help identify manufacturer, year and week.

[url="http://www.recycledsound.net/8_Speaker_EIA_codes.pdf"]http://www.recycledsound.net/8_Speaker_EIA_codes.pdf[/url]

Are there any other identifying numbers or markings on the speaker?

Hiya,
These don't look like they used to be a 406 cab to me, looks more like a pair of 404's
Speaker probably not original, but probably the better for that.
I would try the speakers with a meter, if reading about 5.5 to 6 ohms equals 8 ohm speaker, if reading 2.5 to 3 ohms equals 4 ohm speaker.
Post results, and we can take it from there.
Mike

[quote name='Chimike' timestamp='1443384272' post='2874323']
Hiya,
These don't look like they used to be a 406 cab to me, looks more like a pair of 404s
[/quote]

I wondered that at first, but I think my old 404 had 2 ports at the bottom of the front baffle?

[quote name='Chimike' timestamp='1443384272' post='2874323']
....Post results, and we can take it from there.
Mike
[/quote]

+1 What to do next depends on what you want. Accurate vintage performance or vintage look with modern performance (drivers, port size and cab size optimised).

Edited by 3below

Hiya,
I worded that badly. Didn't mean to infer the original speakers are not good.
I run EV's in one of my 402's, and have tried neo speakers in my 404's, this is the way I prefer to gig them, and I keep the originals boxed. I do this, as I often use higher powered amps (A.M.P 440 , Acoustic 370 ) that could blow the originals.
Next I'm going to try 2 3015's ,or Faitalpro 15's in my 406.
I suppose my point is, the original speakers are good, but they are getting long in the tooth ,now, and more modern drivers are easily replaceable. The cabs are very forgiving in design, this way, they last longer.
Just the way I like to do it, everyone's mileage may vary !

Thought so Chimike, to be fair I was using an Ashdown 575w amp with my 402, so replaced the drivers with Eminence Beta's and boxed up the originals. Funny really, as the rig sounded the same (to my ears at least) and no louder than with my 220.... I've since removed the Beta's for use in another cab and the originals will be going back in at some point.

• 1 month later...

Theyve both got a circular port in the top left corner of the driver. Theres no marking on the drivers that I couls see last time I had these cabs open.
Chimike - erm, sorry to be a pest but what do I need to test them for the Ohm? An ohmeter I presume? Thats for your input guys.

Edit: these are light and loud. Had them going last night to much amusement. drummer didnt like them

Edited by Left Foot

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't pay any attention to what these speakers may once have been. they have clearly been customised at some point soI'd say everything is an unknown. What you want to know is the impedence of the drivers and how the sockets are wired.

[u]Checking impedence:[/u]
You'll need a [b]digital multimeter[/b] Around £10 from Maplins, Robert Dyas, Screwfix, Wickes etc. etc.
They look like this:

Set it to 200 Ohms (or similar low setting)
[b] Ω = Ohms[/b]

On the back of the driver (speaker) there should be two metal tabs (with wires connected going to the back of the socket). Put a prong from the multimeter on each tab and see what number you get on the meter. As above: 5.5 to 6 ohms equals 8 ohm speaker, if reading 2.5 to 3 ohms equals 4 ohm speaker.

Once you know this, it's time to look at how the two sockets are wired. Usually these are parallel (see below), meaning if you have two 8 ohm speakers, you'll end up with 4ohms total from the two cabinets. Most amps can handle 4 ohms. But if you have 4 ohm speakers, using both in parallel will give you 2 ohms to the amp (some amps can handle this, but many can't).

If you have two 4 ohm speakers, and your amp only goes down to 4 ohms - you can't use them both together unless you wire them in series. For this you'll probably need a special lead (or conversion box).

This could get even more complicated if the speakers are different, so for now, let's see what you have and we can go from there. Lots of people on here can help if we know what you have to work with...
• Minimum load for your amp (usually written on the amp near the speaker outputs),
• Speaker load (from multimeter)
• and a close up of the wiring of the sockets will help. (Edit: Seen the pic above, your speaker sockets are wired for parallel)

Edited by brensabre79

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...