[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Folk[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Country[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Classical[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Rock[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Metal[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Rap[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Dance[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Pop[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]What surprised me what the relatively high ranking of Country fans, who traditionally are lampooned as being someone insular, e.g. "Both kinds of music: country [i]and [/i]western".[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440686560' post='2852974']
What happens if you like more than one genre of music? ... not that anyone would obviously that would be ridiculous. :mellow:
[/quote]

There's no link to the actual study there, but I presume it was based on identifying an "X fan" as someone who predominantly downloaded stuff labelled as "X", and then seeing what else they downloaded.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1440686914' post='2852978']
There's no link to the actual study there, but I presume it was based on identifying an "X fan" as someone who predominantly downloaded stuff labelled as "X", and then seeing what else they downloaded.
[/quote]

ah fair enough... so I guess it's a study of peoples who's prefered genre is one from that list.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1440686914' post='2852978']
[/quote]

There would be lots of ways of measuring this. One problem might be that different methods of calculating the statistic might give different results.

If I was doing it, I would count each download for a genre, and assign that a number between 0.0 and 1.0 depending on how exclusively the person downloading downloads that genre. E.g. if the person downloading a country track downloads country 25% of the time, then I'd count each of their downloads as a 0.25. I'd then take the average for all country downloads, which might be say 0.41. This might compare to pop music which might have an average of 0.51, showing that pop music fans are more insular than country music fans. This avoids the problems of having to classify individual fans as being a fan of a single genre.

Thus proving that University isn't a waste of time after all. :mellow:

All that 'also bought' ad targeting is rubbish, anyway. I bought an amp stand, then for weeks got loads of ads for... amp stands. I'm unlikely to buy another bloody amp stand apropos of nothing, am I..? It would make more sense to show me something else I wanted to see, but not the actual thing. Such as, er... Drew Barrymore's buttocks. There must be an algorithm for that, surely..?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440689768' post='2853020']
Thus proving that University isn't a waste of time after all. :mellow:

All that 'also bought' ad targeting is rubbish, anyway. I bought an amp stand, then for weeks got loads of ads for... amp stands. I'm unlikely to buy another bloody amp stand apropos of nothing, am I..? It would make more sense to show me something else I wanted to see, but not the actual thing. Such as, er... Drew Barrymore's buttocks. There must be an algorithm for that, surely..?
[/quote]

Do you think Drew would be interested in a straight swap?

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440690148' post='2853028']
Functionally useless as an amp stand. But [i]could[/i] work as a guitar stand...

H'mmm.... There might be some money in this.
[/quote]

What in marketing a series of guitar stands aesthetically based on various famous posteriors?

... I'd buy a kylie one. :mellow:

I have a fairly eclectic tastes but am very narrow minded in what I like in a particular genre.
I got offered a try out for a .punk' covers band. "You know? Stuff like Linkin Park and Sum 41" My advert said 'Punk. Only really like UK bands 76-80. No Oi'. I declined.
And what is an indie band? If they're signed to a major label? I don't get it. If they've sold enough product to be well known they can't be alternative either surely?
I think I'm probably just an awkward sod.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440690640' post='2853033']
What in marketing a series of guitar stands aesthetically based on various famous posteriors?
[/quote]

Not 'based on'. The owners of said famous posteriors would make themselves available on a 'per gig' basis, their remuneration being based on their relative fame and the accomodative nature of their buttocks.

Well, you can pay these people to come and open a supermarket or turn on the Christmas lights. Why on earth [i]wouldn't[/i] they want to hire out their butt-cleft as a neck rest?

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440691972' post='2853051']
Not 'based on'. The owners of said famous posteriors would make themselves available on a 'per gig' basis, their remuneration being based on their relative fame and the accomodative nature of their buttocks.

Well, you can pay these people to come and open a supermarket or turn on the Christmas lights. Why on earth [i]wouldn't[/i] they want to hire out their butt-cleft as a neck rest?
[/quote]

Bilbo could get Vanessa Feltz in to park his 7 string bass....