Why become a member? ×

String spacing over P bass pups

LITTLEWING

Is it just an aesthetic thing or does each string HAVE to line up between the pole pieces on split P pickups? I just put a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles (improved the tone massively) with narrower string spacing on a project P as an experiment on easier playing etc. but obviously the strings now don't lie directly between the pole pieces. The volume and overall tone hasn't changed to my ears, so does it really matter as much? After all, if the pups had 'blank' covers on, how would one even know where the strings sat above them as long as they're in the magnetic field?

It varies from pickup to pickup. Because of there different designs some have a wider field than others. So if you haven't noticed a change its a cosmetic thing but it won't always work out that way and with another pickup it might make a difference in volume/tone.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Jazz necks and Babicz bridges on 2 of my P basses and as a result the strings are not quite widely spaced enough to sit exactly between the pole pieces of my Fender 'original 62' pickups.
It makes no difference to the sound but I can understand how those with OCD might get frustrated.