Why become a member? ×

G&L MFD split pickup question

ikay

Does anyone know if the G&L MFD split pickup (as on the SB-1) is the same size as a standard Fender P pickup? I'm interested in whether it would work as a straight drop in replacement on a Fender P. Thanks

I've just gone off and done some measuring.

It's close.

I just tried putting some fender pups in to an old sb1 pick guard and they went in ok. not perfect but not too bad.

Tried SB1 pups in to an old squier pick guard and again, they went in ok.

Not an absolutely perfect fit but it was pretty good.

I should add, the SB1 guard and pups are from an 80's instrument, I don't know if the modern ones are the same dimensions.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1440756300' post='2853510']
It's a mod I've been intending to try for a long time but just haven't as yet.

I await the outcome of your project :)
[/quote]

At one point G&L fitted a Schaller PBX as standard. I just turn the volume and tone down to tame the MFD into a more traditional P bass tone.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1440760204' post='2853564']
Good point re pickup position. Can someone measure from 12th fret to centreline of polepieces? (it's a more consistent measurement than from the saddles)
[/quote]

Very true on consistency, E/A (288[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]±1)[/size][/font][/color]mm D/G (315[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]±1)mm[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by 3below

Thanks 3below. That's very close to a P (about 6mm closer to the bridge than my '72). I'm now thinking maybe a G&L humbucker in the P position like an L1000, mmm ...

Edited by ikay

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1440759101' post='2853548']
I actually really like the aggressive MFD tone, particularly in a band with two guitars. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1440769129' post='2853706']
I'm now thinking maybe a G&L humbucker in the P position like an L1000, mmm ...
[/quote]

Hell yeah!

See signature pic. Single MFD = rock heaven.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1440769129' post='2853706']
Thanks 3below. That's very close to a P (about 6mm closer to the bridge than my '72). I'm now thinking maybe a G&L humbucker in the P position like an L1000, mmm ...
[/quote]

6mm in the scale of things is about 0.7% difference on the open strings reducing to about 1.4% difference at 12th fret. My take would be that this is not a significant difference. Retrofit MFD will be more straightforward (cheaper and non destructive) than MFD humbucker.

I also like the 'aggressive' mfd tone, I can get shades of Gibson EB, The John Hall bass, J bass and P.