Why become a member? ×

Neck Dimensions and Descriptions . . . Possible sticky?

King Tut

It would be pretty cool, I think, to have a thread on here regarding neck dimensions. I'm interested in fender, but could easily include other makes.

For instance, what exactly is meant by a 'B' shaped neck or a 'C' shaped neck. When a neck radius is given, is its the radius of the fingerboard, or the back of the neck.

Even if it's not made a sticky, could folks discuss the above paragraph to help me understand/describe?

Also, neck depths . . advantages/disadvantages/examples . . . .

This is the sort of thing I was getting at here:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/268462-a-modders-database-feeler/page__pid__2853386#entry2853386

Neck radius is the fingerboard curvature, I am sure. I've seen profiles online, but they aren't necessarily useful to the inexperienced player.

There isn't a B profile, the letters (C, U, D, V) refer to the profile (shape of the back) of the neck, so a V will look just like a V a C the letter C and so on. When radius is mentioned it will be referring to the fingerboard, they typically range from 7.5" to 20" but there are of course exceptions such as an "infinite radius"....which is flat and lower than 7" on double basses. The higher the number the flatter the board (so 20" is very flat).

Front to back thickness will depend entirely on the individual and a slim neck does not necessarily mean a more comfortable or faster neck. Width is also down to personal preference and will more often than not will range from between 38-42 mm at the nut on 4 string basses.

Great stuff Manton Customs. It's hard to picture how a C neck would be different from a U or D neck.

Help me out here. . . . . A typical 60's Precision would have a . . . . . . . . Shaped neck
A typical 70's Jazz would have a . . . . . . . .. . . . . Shaped neck
A typical 60's Jazz would have a . . . . . . . . . . . . .shaped neck
stingray has a . . .. . . . . . Shaped neck.

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1440803643' post='2854089']
Just found this . . . . Pretty useful . . . . A, B, C and D are widths not shapes!
[/quote]

C is both a shape and a width. I'm pretty sure all the Fenders and Squiers I've played have been C shapes, Yamaha acoustic guitars are V shapes (can't remember what the basses are like), and Warwicks are either C or U shapes (I have examples of both).

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1440837654' post='2854186']
....... Warwicks are either C or U shapes (I have examples of both).
[/quote]

Likewise, and for the same model bass they are very different to play. Linking in with Alyctes idea of a database of bass dimensions, why not make cardboard templates of the profiles at nut / first fret and 12th fret. Photograph the profiles with ruler scale in picture.

+1 to Manton Customs, it is all personal preference.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1440839749' post='2854206']

Likewise, and for the same model bass they are very different to play. Linking in with Alyctes idea of a database of bass dimensions, why not make cardboard templates of the profiles at nut / first fret and 12th fret. Photograph the profiles with ruler scale in picture.

+1 to Manton Customs, it is all personal preference.
[/quote]

Like this idea. Being able to visualise something and then relate it to an existing bass that you've played would really help.